Sherco 3.24t 08 - Ticking Sound From Head Area And Oil Residue ?

den

Hi ive recentley bought a second hand sherco 3.2 4t 08 and its runs and starts fine however it has just started making a ticking sound from the engine and there seems to be oil residue around either the barrel or the triangular side plate on the side of the barrel. this has now realy worrried me and im hoping somebody can help me? thanks den!

Reports from others :

Check valve lash after run in.

A low tickover may cause engagement of the decompressor on the cam.

Some have reported timing chain rattle and replaced the tensioner it seems, not sure about this as compared to the second issue?

:(

Oh, and something about insuring the vent off the head is not being pinched off! This could cause blowby the gaskets!

Edited by copemech

Hi n thanks

Compmech : i did check the water n oil levels when i bought it so maybe i will check that i did not pinch the head vent off when i replaced the tank! if i did is the gasket knackerd?

Im afraid the other details you mentiond are beond my knowledge barrier im afraid

Madforit: a guy approched me who is experieced and was observing at the trial he said that my bike had started to sound different towards the end n i had also noticed so im very wary!

God ive just realy got to like this bike one of me fave trials is comin up at weekend n im not gonna be riding at this rate p a n t :(

Hi n thanks

Compmech : i did check the water n oil levels when i bought it so maybe i will check that i did not pinch the head vent off when i replaced the tank! if i did is the gasket knackerd?

Im afraid the other details you mentiond are beond my knowledge barrier im afraid

Madforit: a guy approched me who is experieced and was observing at the trial he said that my bike had started to sound different towards the end n i had also noticed so im very wary!

God ive just realy got to like this bike one of me fave trials is comin up at weekend n im not gonna be riding at this rate p a n t :(

Difficult to quantify this over the internet! I would say some light tick may be normal . If your vent was pinched, the cover should be ok otherwise.

Do you have a local dealer that may advise? As we do not know where you are from your profile?

hi im from barton on humber south humberside!

I have sent aload of emails out and TRIALS UK was the only one who came back and has helped me up to now. with out seeing it he recons the timing chain tensioner as well.

the oil seems to be coming from just behind the top of the triangular side plate on the barrel either that or the head gasket behind it as it overlaps.

i have checket the breather pipe and it was not pinched!

so im a bit confused, i have emailed sherco regarding the problem and requested a manual as there is not one for a 4t 08 on there.

im kind of hoping that it is the tensioner and the side plate gasket! but never the less im a worried bloke at this point.

dont fancy droping the engine at all!

thanks again

den

PS ill square my profile up

• 3 weeks later...