Which Tyres

mick

IRC's last longer than Michelins, I think for the average rider getting value for money is important. I put a new IRC on at the start of the year, I've still to turn it. OK, its geating well rounded now but it still works. As I've said before though, if I get stuck in a rocky section I tend not to go hammer and tongs at the throttle spinning the back wheel in a temper. I see so many riders getting wound up with getting stuck and giving it loads with the throttle. This just causes the back tyre to spin and bounce against the rocks, that just wears the tyre. What makes people think that it will create traction? If the tyre never gripped in the first place I'm sure spinning it up is not (in most cases) going to help.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just put a pair of IRCs on my Beta and I'm very happy with them. 2 trials and 3 days' practise later and the leading edges are still sharp(ish). I replaced some VERY worn Mitchelins and don't change my tyres often enough to be able to make any kind of comparison between the two makes (plus I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between any types of new tyres to be honest!)

Having said that, the IRCs came highly recommended by several local riders far more experienced than myself and like a couple of people have already mentioned, they do seem to provide plenty of grip in wet conditions but don't perform as well when it's dry and dusty. Being in Yorkshire, I think that this is a reasonable compromise! A good winter tyre maybe?

You need to be careful with direct comparisons with worn and new as there are many factors to take into account.I have a new michelin and a really worn out rounded one, comparison is that the worn one is oh so soft and will grip much better on dry stuff, but muddy southern stuff the new one would be better.

As for wear the IRC is definately longer lasting.

I always try to turn my new tyres after one event and this gives 2 really sharpe edges, and I always try to use the new edge in a muddy trial.

Got to be IRC By a Mile...I've tried them all and I'll never have anything else now :)

Still running round with a tube in it then?

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....topic=502&st=15

Yes, still got the tube in :P

I can see you still have a problem with it too ;):)

Back to IRC, I find the IRC to be a 'softer compound' than the Mich (just my opinon Mr Dabster ;) ) and yes they last quite a while too.

Edited by Marky G

Ahh well spoted, no I scrub them out either on trials where I do not feel disadvantaged with no edge like last weeks Richmonds crackpot, or as a practice tyre on the spare wheel.

The spare wheel although initially more expense, pays for itself in that you can always have an old tyre to pop in for practicesaving the new one.

Why would a softer compound last longer Mark g????

In my humble opinion the difference between th IRC and the Michelin is most noticeable in Mud.

The IRC seems to work better, I think, due to a stiffer sidewall, although I agree the rubber compound feels softer. I agree that somehow it also seems to last longer.

Down here a good edge is a major advantage in a Winter trial, a couple of trials and the edge will go and the mud performance really declines.

I prefer a michelin in rocky trials, wet or dry. Having tried both I think its marginally better in the wet and head and shoulders in the dry.

We don't get IRC here in OZ so I don't know about them.

We do get IRC tyres in Oz, I run one on the GG300ec of mine in the summer. The importer is located in Victoria, Bruce Collins used to import them.

Thanks Splint.

I haven't seen an IRC trials tyre yet but will now be on the lookout. From the sounds of what our friends from overseas are saying though the IRC probably isn't ideal for the dry riding seasons where I live.

Thanks Splint.

I haven't seen an IRC trials tyre yet but will now be on the lookout. From the sounds of what our friends from overseas are saying though the IRC probably isn't ideal for the dry riding seasons where I live.

From memory they are at least twenty bucks cheaper than the Michhies, the main reason I chose an IRC is due to the fact that they have a stronger side-wall and would be less prone to puntures on my enduro bike.

As for tyre compunds I always thought that a harder compund would work better than a soft one in the mud, hence why IRC work better than Michhies in the goop JMHO