Track Stand

ma77

Hi

I've been it to bike trials (push bike) for quite a while but am only just starting to move on to motorbike trials (hope thats the right terminology).

Im having great fun so far but would like to be able to track stand... on a push bike it is a simple case of turning the bars almost 90 degrees and just moving body weight but this does not seam to work on the trial bike... help please

also are there any events or clubs in the hampshire area (UK) that i would be able to spectate at.....

Thanks all

Matt

It is the same as the push bike just a bit more exaggerated. I'm in the same boat as you. Ridden pushys forever & this is my 1st year on the motorbikes.

Same as learning on a pushbike ie. its easiest to do it on a slight incline & then adapt the technique to suit other terrain. If you can do it on a push bike it won't take you long to get it sussed.

I thought a track stand was slightly rolling forwards and backwards on an incline? You will soon get a big fat 5 doing that in a trial ;)

If you want to balance on the spot, turn your bars halfway between straight ahead and full lock to start with. Stand on the pegs and instead of using your weight, nudge the bars to the right if you're falling right and to the left if you're falling left.

For practice, on hard ground let your tyres down but don't have them flat. It's easier on soft ground, stick the front wheel in a rut and you will be able to balance all day long...

use the same initial method as a push bike but if you feel the bike moving over to far, move your leg off the pegs and right out to the side to keep you in balance,look at some of the videos on you tube and you will see what i mean ,search adam raga,toni bou,dougie lampkin and there should be some track standing in there

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers for that guys...

was thinking it would sort of be the opposite reaction as on a push bike i am heavier than the bike but on a trial bike it is heavier than me.....dunno if that makes sense or not...

think im getting the hang of it :D

I thought a track stand was slightly rolling forwards and backwards on an incline? You will soon get a big fat 5 doing that in a trial :D

If you want to balance on the spot, turn your bars halfway between straight ahead and full lock to start with. Stand on the pegs and instead of using your weight, nudge the bars to the right if you're falling right and to the left if you're falling left.

For practice, on hard ground let your tyres down but don't have them flat. It's easier on soft ground, stick the front wheel in a rut and you will be able to balance all day long...

Yep do what Kinell said. Pushy uses more body the Moto uses more subtle bar movements. Let the bike fall slightly to the side you are turning to get the front edge biting into the ground more. Keeping your feet on the pegs/controls is best, extra movement (swinging the leg) just has to be reeled back in to move. I'm sure you'll get it sussed soon with your pushy balance skills.