16 Year Old Bike Vs New(ish) Bike

steve1979

Hi guys, perhaps this may be in the wrong section but i'm wondering if a newer bike ie a couple of years old is easier to hop than my 92 307 or do i maybe have the wrong technique. Maybe 16 years of wear and tear has taken the (bounce) out of the bike. I am considering getting a much newer bike next year but my concern is will it be easier to bounce. I got the Ryan young dvd and he hops his sherco like it ways nothing. Bear in mind though i'm not as fit as i should be lol.

Merry christmas too

Steve

How long have you been riding trials?

Hopping is tough...dont look at pros like Ryan and expect to be doing that. You would be much better served working on very basic techniques like turning,clutching and body positioning. Im not saying dont hop....but it shouldnt be a focus.

Anyways....I think hopping may be a little easier on a new bike but if you have the technique you should have no problem.

Merry Christmas to you also....

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm no hopping expert but it's meant constructively) but if you're having to ask the question the problem doesn't lie with the bike.

Yes a new bike is easier to flick around than a 307 Fantic but a 307 can still be hopped flicked and air turned easily. Just watch indoor and outdoor world events from that era. Or get one of your local expert 'hoppers' to prove it to you. A rider that can trick ride can do it on virtually any bike.

We have a local lad who can hop my Ossa sideways with both wheels off the ground. If you can't hop your 307, you aren't going to magically start hopping a newer bike. Unless your going to have the ability to ride at top centre level I'd put hopping at the bottom of the list of things to learn.

Thanks guys, i'm still fairly new to trials so all advice is much appreciated. Woody and motofire your advice is very appreciated it proves i have along way to go yet but as they say practise practise. Unfortunatly there is no trials events in Shetland so most technique is just a case of trial and error otherwise it would be great to watch experianced guys live.

Thanks

Steve