How Do You Know Which Gear?

nicks_tr34

I rode the whole trial in 2nd as advised .... that was when I could find second in that box of bolts of a gearbox!! ;)B)

If you are interested in my side of things, I did write a little ditty about the day - hidden in the UK trails area ... here is a linky if you fancy a read! :rolleyes:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....showtopic=22753

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new to trials and in the small amount of practice I have done, I have never been 100% sure which gear to choose.

at the bottom of a steep climb, there is a tendency to take a runup and use momentum to carry you throgh, you can obviously select a low gear and use the torque and traction to get you up ... or something in between, but how do you know?

is it better to do the slower/more controlled or rush up as fast as possible, potentially running out of revvs near the top?

you know what gear to go in because you dont want to be on full revvs in a low gear. or taking a long run up on a high gear

what ever feels sensible really

i go for gear 2 on most things or sumtims 3

It always amazes me how different riders choose different gears for the same section. At the end of a recent trial where I'd been in 2nd and third all day, I met the eventual winner who commented that he'd been in 1st for every section! "It gives me more time to react" he said.