How Do You Know Which Gear?

nicks_tr34

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no hard and fast rules for this. One of my friends only ever uses first gear for absolutely everything (250 Majesty) and another only ever uses third gear for absolutely everything (240 Fantic).

If you can develop good enough technique with the clutch, you can use a higher gear than if you are a bit gumby with the clutch. That way you can use second or third even in tight stuff and still have great speed potential for big ups.

Another thing is that if you get your bike running so it revs out cleanly, you can get high ground speed even in first gear. This is one of the technical advantages of a well set up four stroke - they generally have a greater range of useful RPM than a two stroke.

Oh gawd.... you have only asked perhaps the hardest question in trials.

What gear to use comes down to intuition. Intuition is the application of skill and knowledge. Practice will get you intuition. Lots of practice. The previous posts are correct when you are learning. Read these and go practice, for months or years.

BUT.... when you are learned....... NEVER ask others what gear to use. Use your intuition. Asking other riders will guarantee to further confuse you. Do not ask as they are different riders on different bikes. Go with your very first gut feel.

I don't know why they're being so quiet about it, but I have it on good authority that Nick kicked Graham's ar5e :rolleyes:

'Tis true. I have to be a man and stand up and say Nick took the honour!

On the easy route he lost 19 marks to come 8th; I lost 54 on the red route to come 6th, but there were more riders in Nick's class and he rode the last 2 laps for just one mark; a performance only matched by the class winner.

I will of course, be magnanimous in defeat.

Excuse me why I go and cry like a girl!

'Tis true. I have to be a man and stand up and say Nick took the honour!

On the easy route he lost 19 marks to come 8th; I lost 54 on the red route to come 6th, but there were more riders in Nick's class and he rode the last 2 laps for just one mark; a performance only matched by the class winner.

I will of course, be magnanimous in defeat.

Excuse me why I go and cry like a girl!

Thats no defeat! Nick rode the girlie course!!!