Parrallel Imports

tjp

Hey Guys

How do I know/find out if my bike is a parrallel import?

and If I were to attemp to road register it would I be lumped with a nice tax bill if the vat has not been paid?

thanks for any of your wisdom/past experiences

I have a 07 gas gas pro that i'm trying to road regester.

Rang gas gas uk and gave them the frame numbers and they said that they did not import the bike to the uk.

So who esle imports to the uk and how can you tell weather the VAT has been paid....????

Bonjour,

If the bike is second hand and has been imported from another E.U state them I am pretty sure there is no Vat to pay as it would of been paid to the relevent country when bought new.. if that makes sense.

If its outside the E.U then all the relevent taxes will apply.

Paralell imports seem to come into the uk with no VAT paid, it is usually paid by the importer.

I imported a couple of vans and paid the vat( or rather accounted forit) when registering.

My feeling is the vat would be "overdue" on a second hand bike not imported through shirty, for which you will be liable, ie the tax due on this bike hasn't been paid.

Oh the joys of Europe.

I bought and "imported" a nearly new, but secondhand car from Germany, changed the paper work and registered it in France with no " Vat " or so I seem to remember. The new and secondhand seem to have a major bearing whether the above tax is applied.

I am not 100 pct sure but obviously someone better informed may need to help but would interested in the outcome. I hear several canny French and Spanish trials traders amoungst others buying their stock and raiding Ebay in the Uk due to the weaknest of Sterling I cannot seem much point importing anything at the moment and forseable future.

Oh no it doesn't. I imported a bike a few years back and didn't pay UK VAT on it at all. I registered it and was never asked in person or on any form if VAT was paid. My understanding was that I paid VAT in spain which is within the EU so there is no VAT to pay just to cross EU borders. If fact its more than my understanding its law.

bigfoot Posted Today, 09:04 AM

Oh no it doesn't. I imported a bike a few years back and didn't pay UK VAT on it at all. I registered it and was never asked in person or on any form if VAT was paid. My understanding was that I paid VAT in spain which is within the EU so there is no VAT to pay just to cross EU borders. If fact its more than my understanding its law.

I concur.

Edited by Adsy

Think there are lots of grey areas, no vat paid on my vans either in Belgium or the uk, it was accounted for here although not paid or reclaimed.

legally you can import without vat if you give the exporter a valid VAT number but I understand this doesn't always happen. I had to DHL my passport too!!

If you have registered a bike recently with no mention of vat, then I am amazed as I had to jump through hoops at the dvla in luton 18months ago, and that was a shirty bike.

One way or another everything requires vat to be paid on it, except the obvious childrens clothes etc, although thats another anomily as it is due in parts of the eu except the uk!

According the HM Revenue & Customs website, you have to pay VAT on new motor vehicles bought into the country from within the EU Link Here

but.. looking at what complies to a motorised 'means of transport', you have the below

2. How to identify and deal with new means of transport

2.1 What is a 'means of transport'?

A 'means of transport' is any of the following when it is intended for the transport of passengers or goods:

* a boat more than 7.5 metres long (about 24.6 feet)

* an aircraft with a take-off weight of more than 1550 kilograms (about 4417 lb), or

* a motorised land vehicle which:

- has an engine with a displacement or cylinder capacity of more than 48 cubic centimetres, or

- is constructed or adapted to be electrically propelled using more than 7.2 kilowatts (about 9.65 horsepower).

Vehicles, which are not suitable for use on public roads: for example

* off road motorcycles

* combine harvesters

* motorised lawnmower

also

* hot air balloons

are not means of transport and should not be supplied under the scheme; they are subject to tax in Member State of supply.

This explains why you paid VAT in the UK dabster :hyper:

Surely the member state of supply was belgium (for the van)? Didn't pay vat there as I'm registered. And didn't pay vat here either.

You didn't pay it in Belgium as you have business interests there and you claimed it back against purchases (which isn't the same as not paying it of course) or you just never paid it and then never paid it when you brought it into the country?

You didn't pay it in Belgium as you have business interests there and you claimed it back against purchases (which isn't the same as not paying it of course) or you just never paid it and then never paid it when you brought it into the country?

didn't pay it there,have no buisness there. couldn't therefore when back in the uk pay it to anyone as the van vat free was purchased from a belgian, ie no one to pay it to.

However when I registered them, both required signing a seperate sheet to say I would "account" for the vat in my returns, think again I gave my vat number. So I never actually "paid" vat at all.

What I can't work out is how some dealers in spain can send bikes to the uk vat free when I had to jump through a few hoops.

Personally without a decent warranty I would never buy a trials bike this way its not worth it. Second hand I wouldn't chance it.