• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Can anyone confirm if Beta have got rid of their biggest problems and

1: fixed the fuel leakage issues :thumbup:

2: sorted out the stators so you dont need to keep replacing :D

Ta

Yes since 2008 they changed the carb and also the stator plate and the kill switch to sort out these problems.

Paul.

Yes since 2008 they changed the carb and also the stator plate and the kill switch to sort out these problems.

Paul.

Let me jump in here before someone else does :thumbup:

Yes the carb was changed for 2008, however......... mine still chucks out fuel. I believe the stator plate is improved but if mine was to go I can't say I would be at all shocked.

As for the standard kill switch, a load of **** S*>!

But overall I have been really pleased with my 08 (touch wood)

Beat me to it Clarkey ;)

The Surgeon is right, his bike spills more fuel than it drinks and never attempt a nasty rock section after Clarkey as it gonna be slippy once the Beta's been through. Kill switch is as it states, kills it, usually at awkward times in the middle of no-where and the dreaded water pump self destruct is still available on some 08's as the Goat will confirm.

Seen an Evo at the Yennards 250 I think, very nice bike and very small and didnt notice petrol following it :thumbup: and look what young Wiggy did on one yesterday :D . Not had a go on one yet as every 2 stroke I try feels so different to the Mont but I bet it rides well

There is a rumour the Surgeon is moving up in the world and looking at 4rt's for added grip in the ice?

Edited by The Addict

I tried the 290 evo with the soft power setting at the BVM test day. Riding it back to back with all the other manufacturers 2009 (two stroke) offerings, it felt easily the best. Although it's obviously got monster power in the top end, low down it was a real novice bike (which suited my limited ability!)

If I was in the market for a new bike. It would be the Evo 290 :thumbup:

Regarding the Beta Mikuni carb - the factory fix cures any leak problems ie: drilling the float bowl as has been mentioned many times on this site. - The 08 Keihin only leaks if the float needle is not seating properly. to fix this simply "lap in" the needle very gently holding the end with a pair of needle nosed pliers. - Unlike the Mikuni or Del Orto carbs. the Keihin does not have a removable brass seat. - - Sometimes stale gas (Petrol) causes a varnish to build up on the rubber tip of the needle. The float height is also critical and should be set as per John Lampkin's service bulletin.

Maintenace and the lack of will kill any bike. Design faults are a pain there's no dispute, so why not sort the things which are easily done and then enjoy the bike?....and so what if it leaks fuel speak to the dealer or importer find the fix. Its far better to have a fix then have no cure and the 4rt is no saint......blimming thing would not start when hot, or the tick over flys you around a section, or the clutch is so on off its like hitting a brick wall at 60mph, its too noisy...but then the rear wheel design on a 4rt is so much better than any of the others (yes the new gas gas has it this year).

I got to ride my buddies this past weekend and I was impressed. I have always felt that the beta was heavy in the front but the evo feels really light. As for the kill switch stator issue... I couldn't say but i do know that i believe that in 09 the kill seems very tight. Not to take focus away from that here is what I do like.... WITH PICTURES! Mind you this is from a perspective of a die hard gasgas fan who is totally biased for gasgas. I respect good design and I feel that beta has good design with the EVO. <<disclaimer

I post my likes first. Start positive!

Again the front feels lighter. I like that.

First here is the bike. Props to firstgear trials supply you know who you are....

0104091513.jpg

Linkage! PERK! Sure its a bit more work but it makes for a really fast responding bike. Hopping on to a 1.5 foot log on the rear wheel it came right up with a little solid feel.

0104091442a.jpg

There were these little steel tabs on the skid pan at the back. This can only help but reinforce what will be a stress point. I dig it.... PERK!

0104091447.jpg

The fan control switch was tucked away into the top of the radiator. Very neat! held in with a C clip. Again simple. What a PERK!

0104091449a.jpg

The power seems about the same as my gasgas 300 which is great. I think that beta really kept what was good about the rev3 in this regard.

Ok here is what I didn't like.

The clutch on Beta's seem soooo on/off and always has to me. There does not seem to be a transition. Maybe its setup maybe its normal but every one I have ridden has felt this way. I am not a beta rider but I know that after some time getting used to it this would not be an issue. Not enough of an issue for me not to buy one. On top of that the pull also feels a bit high for a modern bike.

A weak link on the gasgas is exhaust. This 90 degree bracket on the beta seems like it might pose a problem in the future but then again it might not. It really looks like a crutch to me but I could be over reacting. In two years and several crashes later i would like to see what this same bracket looks like.

0104091446a.jpg

The rear spring is too soft. I am 185 lbs and it goes almost to the fender with me on it bouncing on flat land. If I were to get one the spring would have to be heavier. I was riding on simple flat land stuff and this was causing me to bottom out. Given a bit more spring I think that it would be perfect. Left stock in a rocky creek this would pose a problem. Going back to linkage they might have missed a decimal here on the math but its not far off.

What I would do to this bike. Remove two opposing springs in the clutch to lighten it and smooth out the transition. For most clubman riders this would cause enough hold and work to the advantage.

Give it a heavier spring for the rear.

Set the foot pegs back a bit. Make it feel even more pivot able in the rear.

All of this is very achievable for the Beta EVO.

None of it would keep me from considering one.

I won't get one because I am biased. Biffsbeta just doesn't sound as cool as Biffsgasgas to me.

Cheers

--Biff

Biff

Nice write up on the EVO. I was surprised that you did not mention how smooth the engine is. I have never felt anything to be so electric smooth.

I need to get my hands on Joe's bike now that it is broke in and adjust his carb.

Ok Two things are easy to fix on "what you do not like list."

1.Clutch. You can easily remove 1-2 lbs of pull effort off the clutch with some clean up. Just takes some time. A couple guys have done some nice write ups on this here on TC.

Jim Gawne also did his and it was very nice.

2.Rear Shock. You are spot on with the rear end being sprung to soft. Good News is that your local Beta dealer (yup its me) is in the process of removing the spring from a new NON ridden EVO and is measuring the spring rate and having a couple new srpings wound up. One 10% stiffer and one 15%.

I will test and which ever one feels best for the majority of us riders over 180lbs I will have one for my bike and a couple for my inventory.

You have to be careful not to go to stiff on the spring since it could start to fail other parts. I have made springs for my Techno's and Montesa's in the past and have been very pleased with the results.

Glad to hear that you liked the EVO. We have 4 EVO's in MOTA currently so they will be easy to give a try to those that are interested. I am also bringing one to our MOTA Banquet for all to view.

For what it's worth........I have only done about 3 hours on mine but you can really feel the difference from the existing Beta's. The engine is very smooth even when it is this new!

From a mechanical view point this bike is far superior and more thought out than my old '06 model and I think with correct maintenance and mechanical sympathy, there should be no reason why this bike should fail.

downside is the front mudguard, touch it and it will snap

the rev 3 fork brace needs to be modified to make it fit

I have to agree, it does seem to be a bit plasticy, but then again it may be a cheap and easy replacement as a complete unit. We will have to see.

"The fan control switch was tucked away into the top of the radiator. Very neat! held in with a C clip. Again simple. What a PERK!"

Might be a none issue, but in the past on many makes, the location of the temp sender was moved from an high point in the system to a lower location in the sytem, Beta included, reason being if they get a bit low on coolant the temp sender won't work, if the temp sender doesn't work, then the fan doesn't work.

The neck and higher location of the filler cap on the evo may take care of this.

Edited by ishy

"The fan control switch was tucked away into the top of the radiator. Very neat! held in with a C clip. Again simple. What a PERK!"

Might be a none issue, but in the past on many makes, the location of the temp sender was moved from an high point in the system to a lower location in the sytem, Beta included, reason being if they get a bit low on coolant the temp sender won't work, if the temp sender doesn't work, then the fan doesn't work.

The neck and higher location of the filler cap on the evo may take care of this.

This is commonly known as the "Detriot" symptom!

As they made the ones who knew retire! And the new designers? Well, they are really good on computers, you know! :thumbup: