Gas Gas Electronics

sam12

hi,i have a gg 09 125 i have just bought a number board for it and have had to remove the front light,i am doing gcse electronics was wondering if i could make a row of leds to go either over or under the number board.i understand the suply to the front light is 12v so how many leds would i need to :not explode the leds, not damage the bike but make the leds turn on if i conected them in series.

sorry this i a bit of a nerdy question.Sam

hi,i have a gg 09 125 i have just bought a number board for it and have had to remove the front light,i am doing gcse electronics was wondering if i could make a row of leds to go either over or under the number board.i understand the suply to the front light is 12v so how many leds would i need to :not explode the leds, not damage the bike but make the leds turn on if i conected them in series.

sorry this i a bit of a nerdy question.Sam

Depends on the LED's. You need to look at the datasheet and calculate it. Not all leds are rated the same. Most are rated for 1.2-2v and say 20mA.

A quick google gave this page which may help you.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

Wayne...

thanks,i havnt looked at it yet but i will,so about a 400 ish ohm resistor and 5 or 6 leds

this wont damage the bike will it?

is the suply AC or DC?

I have no idea if the Gas Gas has a rectifier for it's lighting circuit. 6 x 2v rated LED's in series will need no resistor in theory. But if the Supply is AC then a diode in series would be needed.

i think that it is AC because of this diagram,http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/KokusanDigital2005Pro.jpg.(i would think that this 05-07 diagram is simmilar to the 09 wiring)

so would i have to make a rectifier with 4 diodes?

thanks,sam wheelhouse

I have no idea if the Gas Gas has a rectifier for it's lighting circuit. 6 x 2v rated LED's in series will need no resistor in theory. But if the Supply is AC then a diode in series would be needed.

o right sorry when you say a diode in series do you mean put a diode after the last led so when the curent alternates you only get current flowing for half the time,if you get what i mean

sorry to keep asking you about this stuff,thanks sam

This might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier

Best of all speak to a good Physics or your GCSE Electronics teacher, and explain what you want to do. It'll be good to maybe do some hands on experiments first.

I'd hope in this day and age modern Trials Bikes have rectified and regulated lighting circuits!

Oh the "fun" in my youth of riding my Bultaco's on the road at night and the Festoon bulb rattling out of the tail light and causing the headlamp bulb to blow!!

Wayne....