Wont Start

mattya

Ok, just to get you started in this Brave New World!

A new sparkie, mind you, even at best it is difficult to see, so take into the shed!

If no luck, try disconnecting the kill switch! Is it standard factory or just a button?

If youve got a fancy tank breather take it off, might just be blocked and stopping fuel going into carb, if thats ok check the carb itself is flowing fuel and the floats arnt stuck, all this though assuming you have a spark. Sometimes its tricky to see a spark in the day, best way is to try at night it will soon show.

If youve got a fancy tank breather take it off, might just be blocked and stopping fuel going into carb, if thats ok check the carb itself is flowing fuel and the floats arnt stuck, all this though assuming you have a spark. Sometimes its tricky to see a spark in the day, best way is to try at night it will soon show.

The real mans way to check if theres a spark is to hold the plug, ease over gently, you'le soon know if its getting power !

Saves on hair gell.

B40RT Posted Today, 01:50 PM

QUOTE (The Addict @ Jan 9 2009, 05:07 PM) *

The real mans way to check if theres a spark is to hold the plug, ease over gently, you'le soon know if its getting power !

Saves on hair gell.

But the TRULY BIG BURLY MANLY WAY:

remove plug from head

keep plug in the plug wire

have your very best friend (or is it fiend)

repeatedly kick over the bike until you are good and fried.

We can only presume that the no spark condition does exhist, and a sheared key may not prevent the spark, it just sparks at the wrong time usually. Depends upon where it is at I think.

After all the basics though, it does get more involved.

The most common reports over the years have been from failed coil units and stators, yet you cannot overlook the basics.

These things may require either a buddys bike with some working parts to try, or a good shop to do the same. :thumbup:

Is the plug wet/ You getting fuel through?

As some people have said, the spark can be REALLY difficult to see in daylight. I stripped my lads bike down and put all my electrics on it, just to find that couldn't see spark on that either. Turned out spark was there, just couldn't see it.

Found float was full eventually - tiny crack on the seam, so it was flooding.

Have you had the carb off and blown it all out? Just on the off chance check that the floats are empty. Unlikely to be that i know but worth a look.

Edited by bikespace