Air Filters

sam12

can i oil my air filter even when its dirty?well not dirty just a bit dusty.

when should i remove and clean the air filter?

thanks,sam

Sam,

If it's dirty, it's doing it's job. You need to clean it when it is dirty and never oil a dirty filter.

Cheers.

Jon

how do you clean it?

should i clean it when i can barely see the colour of it?

Good old fairy liquid does the job! :thumbup:

When you can barely see the colour of it, basically you're restricting the amount of air getting into your carb! I do mine every trial, dirty or not.

so just fairy liquid and warm water leave it to soak for 5 or 10 mins ?

then leave it to dry overnight and spray filter oil on it in the morning?

Put fairy liquid on your filter and wash it through with water until no more suds come off filter.

Can leave it to dry overnight on a radiator or use an airline to dry it off, if you want to put it straight back into the bike!

A light misting of oil before it goes back in! Job Done! :thumbup:

so just fairy liquid and warm water leave it to soak for 5 or 10 mins ?

then leave it to dry overnight and spray filter oil on it in the morning?

I have a water-based solvent in the shop tank and use it and the PJ1 filter cleaner.

Then, when my wife's looking the other way, I sneak in the kitchen and use straight

dish soap to finish it off. Don't pull on the filter, just squeeze it to clean the oil out

so as to not rupture the seams. Let it dry and then you can use a large plastic bag

with some filter oil in it to re-oil. The filter oil has a dye in it so you can tell when it's

evenly distributed throughout the foam. Then take paper towels and blot the extra oil

out of the foam and re-install on the cage.

Even with spray filter oil, you'll want to gently squeeze the foam to move it through the

filter. Otherwise, you'll only have oil blobs on the outside of the foam.

Jon

go to NO TOIL boys ..sooo easy to use and clean with their cleaner its unreal. Have been using on 3 bikes for 2 years and would not go back to any other product. Wash in your kitchen sink , no mess no risidual oil left as its bio degradable. The protection it affords is very good, never had crap get through it on twin air filters.

Edited by pandelboy