New Rules Any Good?

timp

There must of been a fair few trials under the new rules that have been run including a national.

How did you like riding or observing under them. Did they lead to bigger queues, are they easier to ride, is observing easier etc. etc.

As a rider I am liking the new rule change. The only one that mainly affects the riders is being able to stop and that is brilliant because you are able to get lined-up at a step etc. Which makes your riding more controlled.

There must of been a fair few trials under the new rules that have been run including a national.

How did you like riding or observing under them. Did they lead to bigger queues, are they easier to ride, is observing easier etc. etc.

I'm much happier with them, but I come from a Biketrial background so i tended to struggle a little with harder trials and not being able to stop. Never quite felt safe throwing myself at something knowing i wasn't quite on line. I had some pretty big crashes last year (i know i could of stopped if i'd ended up of line but i think that bit of my brain is missing) and my fellow student physio's got some pretty good practice out of me.

I felt happier being observed as well, in quite a few big trials last year i got penalized for stopping while better riders who were in with a chance of winning got some leeway. I also found that quite a few trials ended up with some observers allowing a momentary stop, others a full stop and some giving a 5 if you even thought of stopping.

Theirs noway of satisfying everyone and although i prefer it this way I'm just happy riding whatever the rules.

Its not good, sat in a queue while some guy stops, balances, then takes minutes over what others ride non stop is a joke!

rode a trial on sunday, the guy in front of us in most sections was stopping at every few yards, abuse from riders in the queue behind, it spoils the event.

As an observer, I prefer the new rules.

I know people champion the no stop rule, but having observed at several NO STOP trials last year, I still found that there was some flexability expected by the riders in the interpretation of what a stop was.

However, having observed at 3 trials under the new rules I can see problems arrising. Where the entry is made up of 90% no hop riders, I'm not sure queuing/tighter sections will be an issue and no problems arose. However, at something like an A & B Youth National or an adult National I can see tempers fraying as riders/parents try and push their way to front of a lenghthening queue.

Even last weekend I felt that the riders who cleaned my section non stop deserved a better mark than those who made a mistake, stopped, corrected it and then carried on to 'clean' the section.

Which ever system, I'll be out again this weekend, watching the various attempts at my section and enjoying the banter with the competitors.

How about a -1 mark for a no stop clean ?

I haven't ridden under the new rules yet but will be on sunday at a local club trial. I'm not too sure how it's gonna turn out, i'm a bit sceptical. I've been brought up riding no stop and have never had the need to hop or anything like that, maybe i should start to practice that a bit! Hopefully the sections will be set out in a way that will allow us to ride no stop as they have been for as long as i have ridden, but i'm always up for a challenge so bring it on!!

The new rules applied at an A&B national should mean that if there are 4 riders in the queue you actually know how long you have to wait, 90 seconds per rider should be about 8 mins. The problem will be if the section is too long to do in 90secs.

Hi

If riders are taking longer in sections then it does not change the waiting at sections. They take longer at all sections so its just the same, or am i simplifying the thing. Had the rules here a while and works well. Riders hopping 3 times then footing then back on the pegs 3 more hops then footing etc, think they can hop when they can not. 1 dab line it up and go, thats me . I know i cant hop.

Feet up

Pete

In my experience most observers have been turning a blind eye to stops - and I mean deliberate stationary pauses of about 10 to 15 seconds - for many years so I can't see the new rules making much difference except that the cleans recorded will now be genuine and within the rules.

Hi

If riders are taking longer in sections then it does not change the waiting at sections. They take longer at all sections so its just the same, or am i simplifying the thing. Had the rules here a while and works well. Riders hopping 3 times then footing then back on the pegs 3 more hops then footing etc, think they can hop when they can not. 1 dab line it up and go, thats me . I know i cant hop.

Feet up

Pete

100 riders with 40 sections take two minutes each. 8000 competitive minutes

100 riders with 40 sections hop and bounce for an extra 30 secs. 10000 competitive minutes

Ofcourse this doesn't mean the trial will take 2000 minutes longer to complete as many for the sections will be being ridden at the same time. But it does begin to make you realise how things can suddenly take a hell of a lot longer.

In my experience most observers have been turning a blind eye to stops - and I mean deliberate stationary pauses of about 10 to 15 seconds - for many years so I can't see the new rules making much difference except that the cleans recorded will now be genuine and within the rules.

Not in our area. A second or two might be let off but that was it but a lot of observers did it to the rule. Stop for a 1 worked well for us. Pity its gone.

Not in our area. A second or two might be let off but that was it but a lot of observers did it to the rule. Stop for a 1 worked well for us. Pity its gone.

It was ridiculous that there were three sets of rules.

Our regular observers knew the rules and some of them enforced them at first. But for Club trials (where if you're lucky , the Clerk of the Course, gets the last few observers at the very last minute) it was often impossible to explain the rules in the time available. So we ended up with different standards of observing. Not correct. Not good. But at least the sections were observed.

Before I get knocked for saying 'impossible to explain' you all know what I mean. When is a stop a one? When is a dab a five? When is a bounce ok? etc etc. A willing father/mother/girlfriend or whoever hasn't got much of a chance of learning these finer points of observing when the first rider is waiting at the Begins cards. *Disclaimer. We only use experienced observers at our bigger events and correctly briefed them all in plenty of time. Not always possible at club events*

So what had happened? At club trials the standard had slipped. The experienced observers started giving riders the benefit of the doubt more often, because they could see that less experienced/new observers were counting dabs and not stops etc. And from many of the trials I have ridden, the same thing had started to happen. Infact, I (and many others I suspect) began to expect to get away with the odd stop. The 'stop is a one' rule simply wasn't working.

Now I personally would prefer all trials to be fully non stop, but as this is never going to happen, the simpler the rules to understand (for the observers sake) the better it is. And this years rules are simpler. So I believe that it's been a good decision.

I hope the new rules dont end up making sections tighter (like the trial i rode yesterday) where the hopping is the hardest part of some sections rather than riding big logs, rocks, hills etc.

I think the new rules are a load of crap.

Edited by Lennie

I hope the new rules dont end up making sections tighter (like the trial i rode yesterday) where the hopping is the hardest part of some sections rather than riding big logs, rocks, hills etc.

I think the new rules are a load of crap.

All depends where you ride as to how tight sections will be. You can still ride logs, hills etc etc and still trick ride!!!!!!

However, I feel the rules are now correct. Why was we the only country riding under the old rules??

Stopping and Hopping is a part of modern trials riding and I cannot understand why people are complaining about it.

You dont HAVE to stop and hop so if you dont want to - dont do it.

If a all the sections are laid out too tight to ride without any hopping then I this would be a problem but in all honesty it shouldn't happen if a club knows how to lay out a trial for all riders. But to be fair I think most peopple an manage a little hop to get round a tight turn. If not you're gonna have to have a dab.

It makes SOOOO much more sense to have these current rules as it clears the confusion for observers. i.e stop = 1 point, stop and foot down = ?? god knows...... So long as the rider is making an attempt a foot down should be 1 point. If they are just sitting there doing nothing then yes it should be a 5. Easy to follow for all.

Just my opinion and I am not a great trick rider at all.

All depends where you ride as to how tight sections will be. You can still ride logs, hills etc etc and still trick ride!!!!!!

However, I feel the rules are now correct. Why was we the only country riding under the old rules??

Stopping and Hopping is a part of modern trials riding and I cannot understand why people are complaining about it.

You dont HAVE to stop and hop so if you dont want to - dont do it.

If a all the sections are laid out too tight to ride without any hopping then I this would be a problem but in all honesty it shouldn't happen if a club knows how to lay out a trial for all riders. But to be fair I think most peopple an manage a little hop to get round a tight turn. If not you're gonna have to have a dab.

It makes SOOOO much more sense to have these current rules as it clears the confusion for observers. i.e stop = 1 point, stop and foot down = ?? god knows...... So long as the rider is making an attempt a foot down should be 1 point. If they are just sitting there doing nothing then yes it should be a 5. Easy to follow for all.

Just my opinion and I am not a great trick rider at all.

Last trial I observed at some of the riders thought stopped with foot down is a one. It was a no stop trial.

So under the new rules ???????????