Sherco 4t Won't Start

vasey15

Bought an 08' sherco 4t, the lad started it when i went to pick it up so i know it works. i got it home and tried, i gave it a little throttle and it had a couple of tries, then nothing. The lad i bought it off said not to give it any throttle but to leave it as it was flooded, their was petrol coming out of the carb. I left it over night but it's still flooding this morning. any ideas, cheers?

Switch the petrol off, leave it to dry out, try starting it without putting the petrol on. If it starts then put the petrol on.

You will have to strip the carb to check float level etc.

Should be plenty posts on here as this is not an uncommon problem.

Good to get help if you havent done it before. Work in a clean area with plenty of light, you will drop something.

Take your time.

I would suggest that you take the carburetor off, thoroughly clean it and find out why the float was sticking. Put it back together and set the air screw at 5/8 of a turn out (it should be somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 turns out, 5/8 is a good place to start) run the idle screw up 1 full turn.

Now when you start it do NOT give it any gas! Set the choke, find TDC and give it a meaningful kick, if it has not started after 4 kicks take the choke off and kick it until it starts, you usually do not have to give it any gas. If it it is flooded then tha is another story, usually a few kicks with the throttle wide open will clear it.

Wayne

My 08 started every time unless it had some foreign object in the pilot circuit, that circuit must be kept extremely clean.

I liked the 08 so well that I have an 09 on order, hope to have it in 2 - 3 weeks.