Wrist Tendonitis

I had a recent bout with wrist issues this summer that caused pain and swelling in my right wrist and hand. It got really bad to the point that I thought I may need the surgery. On the advice of my doctor I started sleeping with a wrist brace that holds my wrists straight and keeps them warm as I sleep. I guess some people have a tendancy to curl there wrists when the sleep which makes it hard for them to heal or recover. I am one of those people, and was being woke in the middle of the night with pain and numbness in my right hand/wrist. The braces are neoprene and have a rigid plastic stip in them that doesn't allow for a bent wrist. They made a huge difference and allowed me to continue riding. For awhile I thought I may have to pick a new hobby. I got mine at a local sporting goods store. I wear them to sleep and the pain swelling eventually went away. I am fine now but wear them on both wrists at night as a precautionary measure. I am not a trials rider but ride, race offroad motocross and was checking out your forum and thought it was worth registering to reply. Excellent forum guys I am completely amazed at what the trials guys can do on a motorcycle. I'm looking to pick up a used one to build skills that will cross over when funds become available.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a recent bout with wrist issues this summer that caused pain and swelling in my right wrist and hand. It got really bad to the point that I thought I may need the surgery. On the advice of my doctor I started sleeping with a wrist brace that holds my wrists straight and keeps them warm as I sleep. I guess some people have a tendancy to curl there wrists when the sleep which makes it hard for them to heal or recover. I am one of those people, and was being woke in the middle of the night with pain and numbness in my right hand/wrist. The braces are neoprene and have a rigid plastic stip in them that doesn't allow for a bent wrist. They made a huge difference and allowed me to continue riding. For awhile I thought I may have to pick a new hobby. I got mine at a local sporting goods store. I wear them to sleep and the pain swelling eventually went away. I am fine now but wear them on both wrists at night as a precautionary measure. I am not a trials rider but ride, race offroad motocross and was checking out your forum and thought it was worth registering to reply. Excellent forum guys I am completely amazed at what the trials guys can do on a motorcycle. I'm looking to pick up a used one to build skills that will cross over when funds become available.

Wrist braces made my issues worse,I just concentrated before sleeping to tell myself not to curl up my wrists(took a few months to train myself).What absolutely fixed my wrist issues was switching to oversize gloves,the gloves that fit nice and felt good when trying them on would tighten up during a race.I've got major big hands for a average size guy(2xxl gloves are sometimes too small depending on the gloves) plus I'm a mechanic so my hands never got a break due to working with them all week and riding on the weekends. I was buying XL gloves 'cause they felt like driving gloves when I tried them on.

BTW,any old trials bike will do,I advise buying as soon as possible,I'm kicking myself for not doing it 30 years ago...would've been a helluva better racer and rider had I started trials back then!

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

as above - the powerball i mean!

basically i have just sufferd a massive tare of a ligament in my knee and have been having physio for aboutr a month to cure it , ligament /tendon damage takes ages to heal but can be speeded up by a sports physio and ultra sound - (no not the baby thing )

i thought it was a load of crap but from entering the physio on crutchs not being able to put any pressure on the leg and walking out without crutches an hour later i think what they did helped.

they gave me some gel called BIOFreeze - it cost about

• 1 month later...

I broke my wrist through the joint snowboarding some 20 years ago. No problems since, until I bought a trials bike. All kinds of problems now.

Here are a couple of simple exercises that I've just started doing and they seem to help:

1st Wrist Flexion exercise- Sit at a desk, stand by a countertop, or position yourself next to a flat surface. With your palm-side up and your wrist flat, press your fingertips against the under-side of the flat surface. Keep your fingers straight and flat so the focus is on the wrist. Press firmly against the surface. Hold for 10-20 seconds.

2nd Wrist Flexion exercise- Similar to the 1st exercise, find a flat surface where you can press on its under-side, like your desk, a countertop or a table. Instead of pressing your fingertips, you will press with the heels of your hands. Initiate the pressing from your palms, keeping your wrists straight or slightly-flexed. Again, hold for 10-20 seconds. You should feel this in your forearms more than the 1st exercise.

Edited by deminimis

I have had success treating elbow tendinitis and other forearm soreness with an "armaid". See the web site. It allows you to provide quite a bit of pressure when massaging tight or sore places. The first time I used it, I ended up with bruises on my arm. It seems quite expensive for a little plastic assembly but is effective.

I have also found there are two different theories on tendinitis. A medical doctor will tell you it is an inflamed tendon and that you need ibuprofen. A more holistic practitioner will tell you that you have a tight muscle that constantly pulls on the tendon making it sore. If you can relax that muscle, the soreness will pass.

http://www.armaid.com/

stop using the drugs! ibuprofen is strong stuff and should only be used for 3 days before seeking a prescription drug via your pharmacy. loading up on it the week before riding the bike is BAD! please seek medical help, qualified medical help.

the wrist is painful because your asking it to do something it wouldnt normally do and it may have swollen or become inflammed. if you feel any pian stop.. understand what has caused the pain and change that.. lever position. up and down, ditch the tight gloves or braclet use the hand differently change the position. but if it hurts it aint right so dont use it