Brand New Greeves

nigel dabster

1. Show bikes aren't perfect. p***ing about the details isn't productive. Production details are more important.

2. While this might not be the best time to introduce a "new" make, I bet it's easier to sell a Greeves than an Xipswich, or whatever.

3. Recessions don't last forever, this bike may be posed for production in a while and the timing will be spot on.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was amazed when I read that Greeves were showing a new machine with the famous marque. I had to get my butt down there and have a look. As soon as I saw it I was really disappointed. Whilst I admire them having a go at breaking into this tough market with a British built machine, it looks like they haven't done their homework.

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid :(

Although saying that, It would be interesting to read a decent trials riders review of it. None of us know what the engine or geometry is like of course. ( especially with the fuel tank position )

:( Could move half these posts to the Xipsa website...... :beer:

Okay give them the benefit of the doubt.

"looks like a shed throw together" - well it probably is but then again does the company extend much beyond a big shed and a couple of lock ups..

100K development - what did Beta spend on the Evo as a major player with 15-20yrs continuous development? What do GasGas spend on the Raga developments every year, lets not touch how much Honda will spend to save half a kilo on Bou's Monts.

Crap cosmetically - ever promise a new design to a show and struggle to make deadlines??

The Evo (please note I am a huge Beta fan) - when it first came out how many posts were there about poor cosmetics, crap design, stupid place for the electrics, that rad cap is way to exposed, the carb will still p*** fuel everywhere.......etc etc etc

How bout we see what happens. Greeves played a big part of my growing up because the old man had a couple and I'd love to see them make a go of it, but in the standard british way lets criticise straightaway. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what the next model looks like and how they develop the second proto and see if they can get one to the Scottish..... better than Xipsa have done after two years of promises.

The fuel tank sounds interesting

just a viewpoint

Edited by Slapshot 3

I for one will be withholding my judgement until we see some proper tests and the later revised models.

At the very least Greeves should be applauded for attempting to bring a british made trials bike back to the table. The price is prohibitive but with it being made in Britain that was always going to be the case and even more so now with the drop in the pounds value.

I just hope it comes back with graphics to die for and a certain 'something' - be it power delivery, suspension setup etc - that sets it apart from the competition!

Greeves - My fingers are crossed for you!

not sure about the price 5300 bit on the high side with beta and gas gas well under that it might struggle a bit especially with the economy the way it is.

not a big fan of the color scheme. but its light I'm under 11 stone i would float away in a strong wind on that thing.( do hebo make concrete boots )

thanks for the edit andy.

Edited by wri5hty
Merged with existing topic

Not the best looking bikei have ever seen but a start.

I do believe and please correct me if im wrong but its not that many years ago we all said that the new 4 stroke sherco was far too soon and bad with it, but lets just cast our minds back to last weekend and the fact that it stormed it's way to a world round win.

Bring it on Greeves show them what britain can do. :(

Not the best looking bikei have ever seen but a start.

I do believe and please correct me if im wrong but its not that many years ago we all said that the new 4 stroke sherco was far too soon and bad with it, but lets just cast our minds back to last weekend and the fact that it stormed it's way to a world round win.

Bring it on Greeves show them what britain can do. :beer:

Wonder if the greeves is full of japanese bits also :(