Montesa 349, Your Opinions

thedktor

I only buy bikes I have the hots for and the price is usually quite irrelevant.

If it is a 349 that you want, and it is only being offered to you, keep trying to get your price. What do you have to lose? If you don't know what bike you really want, buying your buddies 349 just because it is available to you is probably not the best move.

The splitting airbox seems to be a problem on the 348 and 349 and many bikes that I have repaired or rebuilt all have had this problem. With the full width rear mudguard you can replace the complete box with a podded filter which is a good replacement if the old box can't be repaired. The new box is not cheap! I would have thought the engine is best left alone and you would be better buying some new rear shocks and tyres. The 349 is not everybodys taste as I seem to remember they had a long wheelbase, low handlebars and by modern standards the footrests need to be repositioned further back.

If you do buy it you will need some oddball metric allens 4.5mm and a slim deep well 7mm for the lower barrel bolts. Other memory notes, they eat plugs and condensers and the engine sprocket has a woodruff key on a tapered shaft. However that being said they were a good bike.

Tony

You cant loose at that price , just check on ebay and the 349 is a great bike thou i sold my one and kept my 348 as the 349 was a bit grunty for slow trial work. Easy enough to split the engine just watch out for the gearbox spacer washers dont slip out.

Dave

the engine sprocket has a woodruff key on a tapered shaft. Tony

349s have a straight shaft wth a quick-disconnect for changing the engine sprocket on the fly. Pop off the rubber guard, push in on the disconect, pull out a c-clip and the sprocket slides off.

• 2 weeks later...
If you do buy it you will need some oddball metric allens 4.5mm and a slim deep well 7mm for the lower barrel bolts.

Tony

I have started stripping the bike and currently stopped until I get a 7mm Allen key, as you pointed out! I believe its same size as used on many car brake calipers so should be easy to get today. My concern is that the bolts will not undo - I cleaned the bike, gave it a 10 minute run up the road and when I took the head off later there was still water in the recess's where the infamous 7mm Allen barrel bolts sit. They looked quite rusty. I don't really want to have to drill them out....

Anyway, will update later how it goes

Steve