The Colmore Cup 2009

pete_scorpa3

The Stratford-Upon-Avon Club are holding the Colmore Cup on Sunday 8th March which will be a round of the 2009 Novogar Clubmans Championship.

New for this year, the Colmore will have a less severe 'non-championship' route on 50% of the sections. The non-championship route will be aimed at riders who would like to ride in the 'Oldest National Trial' in the calendar but who would previously have found the Colmore Sections a little too challenging.

Starting at Downs Farm near Bourton-On-The-Hill, the 30 mile route will include such favourites as Dovedale, Camp, Top Farm and Saintbury Quarry. There will be free refreshments at the half way punch card change at Top Farm, and a full results board at the finish as riders come in.

To download an entry form and the see the list of entered riders as they are received, log on to the Stratford web site HERE

Entries will be limited to 120.

Pete

Edited by Pete_Scorpa3

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was wondering if the novogar course is going to be harder this year now there is an easier route to ride? i have entered on novogar route as I normally find the colmore quite challenging and I enjoy that......but i dont think i would want to ride the novogar course if its going to be harder than normal......any suggestions on what it will be like?

i was wondering if the novogar course is going to be harder this year now there is an easier route to ride? i have entered on novogar route as I normally find the colmore quite challenging and I enjoy that......but i dont think i would want to ride the novogar course if its going to be harder than normal......any suggestions on what it will be like?

The extra route is supposed to get entries from clubman, the novogar severity should stay the same. pretty sure its the case with the wallace, and the acu has specified who the novogar is aimed at and roughly what the winner should loose?

Where's john collins?

The Colmore is traditionally a tough event for the genuine Clubmen but I can assure you that the Championship Sections will NOT be any harder than previous years.

Remember; the Novogar Championship is for Clubmen. In this context, we are talking about good centre level riders, may of whom are over 40. From our area that would include people like John Cowley, Mark Hicken, Richard Allen etc.

What the new 'Non-Championship' route will provide is a less severe day out for riders who normally find the Novogar series just a little too tough... not novices but riders who are down the order slightly at Centre Level.

This will be achieved by having a 'non-championship' eased route on the 20 hardest sections. The remainder of the sections will be the same for all. There will be no specific award for this class, it has been introduced purely to attract a bigger entry and hopefully bring back a 'feel good' factor for the lesser lights.

Just to repeat myself, if you have ridden the Colmore before you know the level of severity. If you are happy with this, ride the championship route again. It will be tough but no harder than normal.

Pete

For anyone who's not ridden the Colmore before, the championship route goes like this -

Katy making short work of the roots at Top Farm last year

100_4313.jpg

Emma Bristow on the logs.

100_4339.jpg

Mark Hicken a couple of years back when it froze

100_2441.jpg

Eddie Roberts (I think) three years ago when it poured down all all day.

100_3431.jpg

By the way... as at close of play today Wednesday 18th Feb, there are 83 confirmed entries which is more than we've had for some years. Due to time and light constraints, the trial is limited to 120, so don't hang around too long if you fancy having a go.

Remember, there are free refreshments for riders at the punch card change after section 20 at Top Farm and the results will be announced as the last rider finishes.

Also, thanks to everyone who's offered to observe or mark the punch cards, the 80 positions are almost full which is brilliant!

Cheers

Pete

There is a petrol station a few hundred yards to the left as you exit the first group of sections at Dovedale, then another as you head back to Dovedale for the second visit (same observers, different sections)

You are unlikely to make it to the second fill up if you don't top up at the first, as the second petrol station is about 20 miles (and 32 sections) from the start.

I suggest that you carry a small bottle of oil if you are riding a two stroke.

If you have a follower in a vehicle, they can park in the picknick area at the Top of Fish Hill off the A44 between Hancocks (Section 21 to 24) and Saintbury Quarry.

However, the risk assessment for this event prohibits refuelling at the side of the road :(

There is a petrol station a few hundred yards to the left as you exit the first group of sections at Dovedale, then another as you head back to Dovedale for the second visit (same observers, different sections)

You are unlikely to make it to the second fill up if you don't top up at the first, as the second petrol station is about 20 miles (and 32 sections) from the start.

I suggest that you carry a small bottle of oil if you are riding a two stroke.

If you have a follower in a vehicle, they can park in the picknick area at the Top of Fish Hill off the A44 between Hancocks (Section 21 to 24) and Saintbury Quarry.

However, the risk assessment for this event prohibits refuelling at the side of the road :(

So if I top up at both stations I should get round ok?

The entry is looking good with just one more needed to make it the magic ton.

This is made up of 56 Championship route riders and 43 Non Championship (50-50 easier) route riders.

Riding for the Colmore Trophy but not Novogar points are:

James Fry

Sam Connor

Dan Thorpe

Alexz Wigg

Sam Haslam

Representing the ladies are:

Emma Bristow

Katy Sunter

Becky Cook

Maria Conway

If you are still planning to ride the entries are open until 2nd March but are limited to 120 due to the shortage of light at this time of year.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...