Clutch When Cold

sherco25016

Is it normal when i start my sherco and leave it to warm up for 5 mins,

i pull the clutch in and knock it into gear the bike will set off with the clutch fully in and drag me

for a little bit then it just stops and it fine.

i had this same problem on a montesa 314 i got told it was just a trials bike thing.

Josh

On my Sherco I was starting to have a clutch release problem. At first I would just start the bike, roll it forward and put it into first gear and then pull in the clutch and apply some rear brake - and it would work fine the rest of the day. As the summer went on it took longer for me to get it to release. A few weeks ago I had the bike in 3rd, 4th and 5th and could not get the clutch to release after the bike sat for about 3 weeks (We are officially into winter and the snow was just too deep to ride).

While the weather was bad I took the clutch cover off and took the clutch apart. I cleaned the metal and fiber discs with mineral spirits and and then lightly scuffed the metal discs with some fine emery cloth until the shine was gone. I laid the emery cloth on a sheet of glass and then slid the fiber discs across the emery cloth until the gloss was gone from the fiber. I then cleaned them again and dried them off. I put it all back together and added new fluid. The clutch now works perfectly and releases very easily. I think I may have been going too long between oil changes.

Change immediately into 3rd and it'll clear.

No it will not!

It is a normal condition, and must be made aware, or you young dumplings might continue to run into things! Even a 125 is hard to stop!

I will put out some pointers for you punters!

From cold and sat, place it in 4th ot 5th gear, pull the clutch, and rock the bike untill it rolls smoothly!

Using the same method, you may use the kicker(slowly) while holding the bike back. A good doublecheck!

Fresh oil in the gearbox may help, do not trust it!

Do not trust ANYTHING, and always be sure you are pointed properly BEFORE placing into gear! Use your head and do not rush your procedure!

The colder it is, well go figure! You do not really to rev the motor to much off cold anyway, you may stick a piston!

So be smart and safe! :D

Edited by copemech

I,ve used Shell Advance 15W-50 for a few months to help stop clutch grab and shudder when slipping the clutch alot in tight shaily sections and since this change have never had the clutch stick when starting. Also never had the clutch slip in high revs when fully engaged.