Can You Flood A 4rt?

scraggydog64

Hello All

Bike ran perfectly today. Got home and went through my post trail ritual. Washed the bike and gave it a blow dry with compressed air. It usually starts first or second kick. This time I had 10 or more goes and it wouldn't start. Then I realised I had left the exhaust bung in after washing it! Removed the bung and went through the reset procedure of wide open throttle, three kicks, then closed throttle and tried to restart it. It tried to fire then did not start.

Done this a number of times still no joy. Tried a new plug, no joy. Kicked it over a few times with the plug out. Cleaned and replaced plug, a few kicks and fires a time or two but will still not start. When I remove the plug it seems wet and smells of petrol. Had a look in the air filter box too see if she had taken in some water on the last section but dry as a bone.

Does anyone out there in 4rt land have any ideas?

I have looked at the manual but cannot find any clues as to what the problem might be. To think I used to whinge about carbs on my previous bikes.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Scragg

New plug should have done it. maybe blow all the electrical conections with air compresser and take the one of the throttle body under the seat as well and bolw out. a little water maybe in there. This has worked for me before.

All the best

U sure ur not flooding it with the throttle wide open from the word go? I would go for closed throttle for a couple of kicks then try full throttle!

Next try bump starting in 3rd. If this works then leave it running for a while... but dont ignore the reason why it wouldnt start in the 1st place, otherwise you will turn up at a trial with no bike to ride one day!

Easyiest way to get it started. Works every time for me as i have had similar prob and once it happends it just dont wanna start.I know the feeling mate.so here it is.Simply get a tow rope attach to bike and car and bump start it. For some reason it clears the bike out and your able to smile again.Give it a go. It works for me (3times)

Simply get a tow rope attach to bike and car and bump start it.

slightly off topic i know but.................................

i one saw a lad in a ford capri towing his brother on a ducati pantah 500 trying to start it. as the bike rider let the clutch out it locked up, went sideways and he fell off!..................was his brother in the car looking?......................no.

the result was a lovely bike being dragged 30 meters on its side. now the funny bit. the bike rider was so angry he took off his helmet and threw it in the air, it bounced of the top of a garden wall and through some old boys greenhouse, who came out and demanded money.

:D

I haven't needed to bump start a bike for years, but I didn't ever need to tow start a bike either. I have bumped many bikes including my 800cc BMW R80ST would you believe. (It is a BMW model with no kick-start fitted, just electric start and when the battery was well down once I successfully had her running with a good old fashioned push start)

If you decide to go down this route and haven't done it before read on:

There is a knack to it which is usually this, select 3rd gear, pull the bike backwards up to the compression part of the cycle, then give it a good brisk push forwards on a clear, slightly downhill, part of the tarmac and just when you have it nicely under way, try getting your weight on the 'seat area' in time with releasing the clutch lever. Hence the name 'bump start' Its not always the push but the downward bump which does the trick!

It is critical for a successful bump start of a four-stroke motor to think about where the piston is positioned in the barrell before launch, so that you extract the maximum stroke to get the motor fired up and on its way!

Remember, clear pathway with no obsticles so that when she fires up, you aint going to run your pride and joy into anything, simple I know but its not the first time I've witnessed all sorts of misdemeanours when a dead bike suddenly bursts into life when the owner leasts expects it!

Good luck and remember to post the result of your efforts on here!

Big John

Similar thing happens as you describe if putting freshly oiled air filter (aerosol type) into the bike. Takes ages to start but if left overnight its fine. I think the air sensor must get confused with the solvent in the air box. Probably similar thing to starting bike with plug in exhaust.

Normally have to kick it over several times throttle wide open and then back to reset and throttle closed technique or put it in the garage and have a beer and try in the morning.

Just an update.

Following my non running problem the plug was wet and with numerous attempts to start it with the exhaust bung I thought I'd flooded it.

On further inspection the following evening I realised it had no spark. Potentially very expensive. Disconnected the kill switch, changed the plug but still no spark. The problem with 4RTs is finding which component is broken. Anyway I studied the manual and noticed it has a tilt sensor. When it is at an angle for a pre determined period it cuts out the engine.

I spoke to the very helpfull people at Sandifords (Trials bike importers fall into two categories, brilliant or poor in my opinion.) and the man said tap the tilt sensor with a screwdriver handle. Into the garage, tap tap, started first kick. One very pleased Mont owner. When I wash the bike I lie it on it's side and wash underneath.

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciated.

Regards Scraggydog.

When I wash the bike I lie it on it's side and wash underneath.

Scraggy, I wish you had said that in the first place!

Not many folk do that nowadays, best to fire the hose along the sumpguard with bike sat on its sidestand and use a nylon brush to remove the crud while doing so!

The guy you spoke to at Sandifords was probably Geoff, very pleasant chap I may add!

Enjoy your 4RT and remember to remove exhaust bung before flight!

Big John

Edited by Big John