Would It Be Good To Do Weights

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you really gonna do major trials on a 125?

Yeah, am amazed at how good it is. Its still standard as well

1. For trials training (not size of muscles, etc.), which is better, 10 reps or 20 reps, or what?

2. Do you guys pick enough weight so that you usually "FAIL" at the desired number of reps, or if you choose to shoot for, say, 10 reps, is the 10 reps SHORT of "fail" so you could go plenty more reps because you chose a weight that's currently short of the "fail" weight?

Thanks!

1. 100% of your 1RM (Rep Max) so your absolute maximum is best for neuromuscular adaption so quicker explosive responses, as you drop down through the % metabolic adaption becomes the focus (so you become more efficient. Thats why I'm saying you need to mix it up a little, its no good becoming so efficient (like a long distance runner) that your neural system doesn't function well.

The 6-8 rep range produces the optimal neural and muscular fatigue Telle, J (1995).

<8 reps is MAX Strength zone

8-12 is Bodybuilding (not to be confused with bodybuilders, just the zone in which your increasing muscle mass but like i stated before you'll struggle to bulk up)

12-20 is Endurance zone.

The more reps you do inversly the less sets you do. So, for 15+ reps you'd do 2-4 sets dependent on your training age (how many years you've been training) 1-5 reps you'd be looking at doing between 5-12 sets. So even with the lower reps you still get the volume of training.

Rest period are were most people fail in their training programs. Rest periods for strength training should be between 2-8 minutes but on average are 3-5. I generally take 3 minutes between heavy sets. For weight loss short rest periods of 30-60 seconds coupled with high volume training are more advantageous.

Failure to rest for the correct period causes the activation of alternate energy systems (lactic acid followed by the aerobic energy system) which you'd notice because your out of breath or have gone light headed. This activates glucocorticoid (hormones) release which stops the muscles developing and is another reason why people in gyms never progress naturally and also leads to an inability to maintain optimal training levels.

So don't go in the gym and lift a bunch of weights that are easy, rest till you feel good and then do it again. As long as your medically fit and cleared to train, train intensely, rest for the correct time period and then do the next set as intense. The same goes for your rest days, train very hard on your training days and then use the recovery day as its this period were your getting stronger etc.

2. Work on -1/-2 rep range, so you lift a weight that if your programed to lift it 12 reps you could manage it 13 or 14 times at a struggle. Be honest with yourself though, many times i see people working in the higher rep ranges around 15 and find that when i push them it turns out they can do 30 or 40 reps. What ever zone your in, those last few reps need to be fatiguing you.

Hope that helps a little and isn't too confusing, thanks for the revision practice :thumbup:

1. For trials training (not size of muscles, etc.), which is better, 10 reps or 20 reps, or what?

2. Do you guys pick enough weight so that you usually "FAIL" at the desired number of reps, or if you choose to shoot for, say, 10 reps, is the 10 reps SHORT of "fail" so you could go plenty more reps because you chose a weight that's currently short of the "fail" weight?

Thanks!

Me, personally, I do 15 reps of most exercises x3 sets.

The 15th rep is damn near failure,that dictates the weight (don't worry you'll soon get a feel for that right amount of final strain).

So therefore when you improve,going on to 19 or 20 reps maybe? you'll know it's time to add a little more weight next session so that you keep testing your body.

I'm an impatient man(short attention span?) so I don't rest completely between sets,can't stand the boredom...so I look for 'unrelated' pairs of exercises i.e. 15 bench presses then straight into 15 squats ,repeat the cycle 3 times.

Then 15 shoulder presses straight into 15 biceps curls,repeat 3 times etc.....mix it up to stop your muscles getting used to the same thing.

You can do a lot in just 30 mins if you think about it, don't drag it out.

Boredom is the no. 1 reason why people ditch their fitness routine , watch out for it.

I'm training MMA at the moment (thanks to BillyCraigs response to a stretching question a year ago..it's all his fault :thumbup: ) and it's many things but it 'aint boring.

Yup,

If you're spending time and effort building strength in your muscles then you must also learn to stretch them aswell, sit on the floor and stretch those legs while you're watching telly...works for me anyway ;)

Buy a foam roller, cheap, easy and very very effective. I make all my clients buy one, those that use them progress significantly quicker between massages meaning i can spend more of their session training them as oposed to undoing all the damage they've done since i last saw them.

hi everyone thanks for your advice i am seeing abit of change in my muscles they are looking abit bigger now especially my sholders and triceps,

goin to keep it up and get riding again after all this weather has gone cant do nothing while its snowing all the time

thanks josh

Edited by sherco25016

This section is one of the best in the forum for improving your skills.

I have been doing yogo for 4 months and have got to say it has helped with me balance, well it has found my weak points.So i

can work on them.Don't be fooled,my class is averaged age is 60 and all woman.I train 2-3 times a week and they could jump over my shoulders.

My training is 10 mins warm up running,leg press,chest and back.Then triceps and biceps. 4 sets of 10 ish reps with 30-40 seconds rep in between reps and 3 mins between each exercise.the rest period I normaly do incline sit ups.

With two days rest .

Also big plus for me is protein shake straight after work out.

Big thanks to billycriag, always good tips.

If you look at my "blog" you will see "ripling" forearm muscles created through years of riding. It may win, and has done, prizes with the ladies and you can ask yourself how was this achieved by an old **** of 62? Years and years of pre trial training of 1/2 pint/section the night before. It worked for 8 SSDT's and if you wish to arm wrestle me, be my guest.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

a mate of mine was selling his multigym so i bought it and put it in my garage, i alternate every time i go so i might do bench presses and bicep curls one night, then pull ups and pull downs next time. i generally set it to a weight where the eighth rep will be a struggle and do between 3 and 5 sets in between fettling the bike. my problem is that the garage is full of ale that was given to me after a wedding so i generally juxtapose my exercising by drinking beer and smoking fags! not part of any recommended workout!

Take a real close look at the link below. I hear amazing things about this program from people that use it. I guess you would call it a strength based cardio workout. Im almost done rehabbing after Knee Reconstruction but I have clearance to do this at the 6th month mark. I cant wait!!!!

Plus its free....unlike P-90X

Cross Fit