How To Make An Ariel Ht 5 Like The Top Uk Rides Have

bobtlr

Hey,

i'm looking to bild an ariel 500 that i could use for modern (clubman level) and oldtimer competition,

where can you get the right frame?

long stroke or short stroke? wat engine mods?

i would like something like G. Dufou's bike, M. Grants bike is a bit to much of it

regards bob

ps i now that it is cheeting but i intend to use it in twinshock events where i use an tlr 250 now

would it be easier to use a B40 donor bike ?

any idea of prices for the frame?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should start by stating I am not a top rider, but do enjoy engineering and making things.

I built this over 18 month period, finished it in May 06

497cc short stroke, fixed ign PAL mag, villiers S22 carb now fitted, tooth belt drive mag and primary

Made the frame from T45 18 gauge, bronze welded.

Fork gaitors now fitted and bike looks better because of them.

Bike ready to run with fuel weighs 205lbs

Whitton yokes and hubs used.

Done Scotland & Robregordo once, Manx twice + many local trials and the frames not bust yet !!!

John Bartrum was building frames and modifying the Ariel swinging arm to suit, think cost was @

post-190-1234122863.jpg

post-190-1234125122.jpg

Edited by magnon

hey,

thats wat i want to bild, i would enter it as a twinshock to be sure no to offend real pre 65 riders and machines

(not much rules in belgium so i dont want to start the same problems as in the uk)

you made the frame yourself? did you used mesurements of an existing frame or you find it yourself ?

where can i get a shortstroke engine and are the better for modern events?

is it a stock engine or are there things that have to be changed to make them work better?

how does it go? turning tight?

could use any info you can give me (27 years old so not 100% up to date on pre 65 pre unit engines but i gues the are not so hard to work on)

regards bob

Hi Bob, happy to provide any info and help I can so just ask.

Tried as best I could keep silhouette like original but did use modern geometry.

You need 350cc Ariel bottom end with std conrod (85mm stroke) and Yamaha xt350 piston (86mm).

I can put you in touch with the ally barrel maker.

Many people have ridden it including Mick Andrews and Sammy Miller it would be fair to say all were very complimentary.

Mick, tested it for Classic Dirtbike Issue Five along with my mates AJS.

Yes it turns tight without tucking or pushing, engines a bit sharp off the bottom, so I'll either drop the compression from 6.2:1 or retard ign again.

It might be easier to PM me.

Magnon

Hi Guy's

Brilliant, I am glad I am not the only one that now think's an Ariel is the bike to build.

I am at present being a bit greedy so I am building three, to go along with the four that we already own.

One has the frame that Dave digarded,the one that Andy Pitt owned, this is going to have the 410 engine with the alloy barrel that we are having cast. The second frame that the jig is set for, is a springer, for the 380 ridged bike that we have.

And the third frame is going to be one inch shorter and house the Model 50 Norton engine, that I am taking out to 380-410 cc "A Noriel" that I have always wanted to build.

If we all pool our information, I am sure we can put you on the right track to build a bike that you will not regret owning.

Regard's Charlie.

Hi Bob,well i think there is a guy in Germany who is selling 2 Ariels.I'am not shure if he still got them.But ring up Bernd Kreutz in Gressenich and ask him for the telephone Number of Edgar Lossnitzer.That's the guy who is selling the Ariels.Both are 500.

Chrs:Mike