New Something To Talk About?

sting32

Im quoting from other sources. There are people in here that usually know or know those in the KNOW.

so I ask, IS IT TRUE?

Someone very wise a few years back said, dont worry about them closing all the riding places, they'll just ban the friggin bikes one of these days... I thought, Oh bull$... they'll never do that. Right.

This is the letter that was sent to Honda dealers from American

Honda's senior vice president, Ray Blank...

Dear Honda Dealer:

On August 14, 2008, Congress enacted the Consumer Product Safety

Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA or Act). The Act was primarily in

reaction to the recent influx of lead-tainted toys that resulted in

numerous recalls and significant public outcry for more stringent

government standards.

The CPSIA requires manufacturers of

Edited by Sting32

It is very true, and requires that we do something right away. Please click here for a link to send an easy to do written response to the US Congress. All it requres you to do is fill your name and address and hit send.

PLEASE DO THIS TODAY!

http://www.tomself.com/

Here is some of the corrospondence I have recieved so far.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD

The really sad part is if it is not true it will soon be. I know that right now there is a new law coming into effect that will not allow any sale of secondhand items that may contain lead unless they have been put through a testing process and approved. This means that secondhand stores, whether it be clothing , toys ect. all have to pay to have their stock tested before they can sell. That pretty much puts the second hand industry out of business. They can not afford this process and still be able to sell their product at discount prices. This basically means more businesses closing their doors.

We get a lot of my daughters things at a local family owned Second Hand Shop. Clothing, toys, school supplies. Most things still have the tags on them from new. Most of the time the only difference from getting things new from the retail shop and this place is the price you pay. The owner has told us that this new law will force the business to go under. In a time where everyone could use some help in the wallet area this seems more along the lines of "Insult To Injury".

Is it any wonder why the US is in the shape its in? It blows my mind that we keep electing these people to "Run our Country" into the ground.

When will we learn? Anyone remember, Of the People By the People For the People?

Aaron

I got an email forwarded from a local dealer with a similar letter, the topic was OSET bikes. So, it appears to be true. I filled out the Tomself letter last night. I hope that filling it out will make a difference. I hope that everyone does the equivalent.

The biggest reminder in my head that gives me the hope that they will exempt the ban from off-road bikes is what happened when they tried to ban off-road riding here in the county I live in. Last year, the county council tried to ban any off-road vehicle use on any property less than 5 acres, and limited times of use on property over 5 acres. When word got out, a website similar to the tomself site was created. Anyone who filled out the web form automatically sent an email to their council representative. A newspaper article shortly thereafter stated that the response on the site was overwhelming several council members reported episodes of blackberry and email crashing ;) due to the large volume of response (some as many as 10k per day). Needless to say, the council member who originally proposed the bill withdrew it. So, email away my friends... ;)

While I agree there are some unscrupulous people and/or businesses out there that the government needs to regulate for our safety,... such and Food processors etc. (had any peanut products lately)...............but what strikes me as funny is the fact that based on what those fools in Washington now say is dangerous, (hence the need to pass laws to protect us), none of us over the age 30 should be alive...

I guess I better make sure my sons don't chew on their bike parts.

here is the deal, there are design standards that must be met before a product is put into production that protects us from known harmfull substances, there is basicly no post production testing, so when a product is being produced a greedy imoral manufacturer such as chinese toy makers will put what ever they want to save a few pennies, thus the new law.

yesterday we had to pull every vehicle off our dealership floor that was designed for a child under the age of 16, yes is sucks, we as powersports dealers are paying the price for the sorry chinese taking advantage of an unregulated process, this also effects parts & accessorys for childrens powersports vehicles. not to worry though, if you vehicle wasn't made in china you shouldn't have anything to worry abought, we just have to bide our time untill the new products have been post production tested

Not to sound racist or anything , But I think Obama needs to be informed of the role model James Stewart is For alot of young men out there , and maybe help promote the sports ... keeps kids off the streets !

Glenn

And I've found that you can send the letter multiple times ... yourself ...

Edited by axulsuv

Not to sound racist or anything , But I think Obama needs to be informed of the role model James Stewart is For alot of young men out there , and maybe help promote the sports ... keeps kids off the streets !

Glenn

And I've found that you can send the letter multiple times ... yourself ...

On August 14, 2008, Congress enacted the Consumer Product Safety

Improvement Act of 2008

Taken from the aforementioned linked site.

"So you could say here that government regulations are about to ruin yet another business. I'm unable to get to the bottom of this. People have been sending me so much stuff I've gotten confused now. The esoteric analysis of this, it's above my pay grade to listen to some of these scholars write about this stuff, but apparently it's possible, and I'm not sure if it's the case, some people believe that it is, that children's books, hardcover children's books printed before 1985 will become illegal because of lead content in the manufacture of some hardcover books. Now, some people say, "No, no, no, no, no, this been changed," others say, "No it hasn't been changed." It's like so many other things in the stimulus bill, most people don't know really what's in it yet and won't know until it's signed this afternoon and people start implementing what's in it. Do you realize people can do whatever they want and say it's in the stimulus bill and who's going to know? Nobody has read this thing. So the stimulus bill can be pretty much what anybody wants it to be. But the dirt bike provision here is a pretty serious thing, and it's more government regulation ruining or threatening to ruin yet another business under the rubric here that we just can't police ourselves, we can't protect ourselves, we're too stupid, we're too idiotic to know what's good for us, or at least a few of us are and since some of us are so stupid and incompetent, rules have to be written for all of us."

OK I have a major problem with the part where he states and I quote "It's like so many other things in the stimulus bill, most people don't know really what's in it yet" Also stated "But the dirt bike provision here is a pretty serious thing," This legislation has NOTHING to do with the stimulus bill. This act was passed last August 2008. If he is going to complain and be against a piece of legislation he needs to get his facts straight. Just another loud mouth Republican trying to make the new administration look as bad as possible hoping they will fail. Thinking this is a win for the Republicans.

Now that I got that off my chest.....I do agree that the government needs to stop trying to save us from ourselves.

Edited by ZIPPY

I think this is all overblown BS! If a track promoter is worried about someone sueing over the lead content of the bike, what about the six other riders you hauled off the MX track on a stretcher last week. They can sue too! For nothing less than you did not tell them the track was rough! Or someone might nail them from behind! Or they told you it was all easy!

There are soo many injuries in the MX, that I cannot imagine! Kids nowdays have been promoted by all the X-treme crap. Few have the skills, less have the brains, and I myself can no longer condone it, as the bikes are rediculious, even an 80cc bike, just nuts on the power and control, or lack of it!

Peeps need to get a grip on reality! Screw the Lawyers! ;)

Edited by copemech

Here is the latest corrospondence in MI on this matter. Tom Dunn is the AMA MI D-14 Legislative Director.

If you have an opinion on this it sure might be a good idea to send off a letter to the address below, let your voice be heard. This not isolated to any specific area of the country, this may affect us all. Remember it takes numbers of us in our little niche sport to be heard.

On Wed, 2/18/09, Senator Debbie Stabenow <senator@stabenow.senate.gov> wrote:

From: Senator Debbie Stabenow <senator@stabenow.senate.gov>

Subject: Re: Please prevent the CPSC from banning youth motorcycles and ATVs

To: tdunn976@yahoo.com

Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 4:30 PM

February 18, 2009

Mr. Thomas Dunn

American Motorcycle Association District 14

5010 Stafford Ave

Lansing, MI 48910

Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me about the Consumer Product Safety Commission Reform Act. I understand your concerns about the ban of lead in children's products.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act became law on August 14, 2008. This law allows for increased funding and staffing for the CPSC, creates a third-party testing system, and increases the speed of recalls when a product is found to be unsafe.

The CPSC has issued regulations that do not require resellers to test children's products in inventory for compliance with lead standards. New products however will need to be tested. The CPSC is accepting comments on the rule, which may be submitted in writing to the following address:

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

4330 East West Highway

Bethesda, Maryland 20814

As Congress continues to debate consumer safety legislation, I will keep your views in mind. Thank you again for contacting me. Please don't hesitate to do so again if my office can be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

Peeps need to get a grip on reality! Screw the Lawyers! ;)

The lawyer crap is right here.... (see links below) and what a giant pile of smoldering dung it is! As I read it again I can smell the pile getting bigger! The real question is what do we do about it?

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35263

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....showtopic=23423