Trials Pictures

pinkbike

Nice pictures Russ. What camera do you use?

Here are some I took of last weekends Bill Peters Trial from the Stroud Valley Motorcycle Club event.

http://picasaweb.google.com/scottanderson6...thFebruary2009#

Scott.

Great set of photos.

I have to admit that we Brits have an evil streak don't we? You get a nice dry day for a Trial so what do they do? Send everybody up a wet stream section, preferably with a boggy middle bit. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really jealous of the quality of the pictures in the thread, I just can't get them clear. I've tried auto and the sport settings but that doesn't seem to help.

I used two camera's at the Colmore, took 300 shots and had about 15 I could use.

img_0241.jpg

100_6312.jpg

img_0134.jpg

img_0127.jpg

I know they are rubbish, I just don't know why. Any adive welcome.

Pete

I know they are rubbish, I just don't know why. Any advice welcome.

Pete

Trust me I am no expert, but I am learning and asking all in the know having just aqured a digital SLR

Dial on top with a big 'S' .....shutter priority :)

ISO 400 or 800 :o

Shutter speed 1/250 or above :crying:

Speaking to EK at the weekend he reckons 1/500

Practice and more practice

Slapshot passed on the initial info so thanks mate and thank god it is digital because I too am still binning loads :thumbup:

Edited by GIZZA5

Gday Pete Scorpa 3

By the look of things your camera is still selecting a shutter speed that is too slow to capture the action and or you are not panning with the rider thru the viewfinder.

For just starting out definately select a higher shutter speed such 250th or 500th. You can easily run lower shutter speeds but if your unfamiliar with your camera and you dont have much experience definately stick with higher shutter speeds initially AND make sure you are following the rider thru the viewfinder or lcd.

Other possibilities are camera shake so make sure you are stable and your elbows are into you sides so there is no induced shake.

Another is as simple, your cameras could be pieces of sh!t and its autofocus are incapable of a decent pic of a moving subject. :crying:

And the other key to a great pic is FILL THE F$%#@^& FRAME!!!!! Always ask yourself the key question...What am I taking a picture of? What is the subject?? If its a trials bike then all you want is the bike and rider and the obstacle he's riding over. Nothing Else.

I could write a book on this subject but will refrain from doing so at the moment.

And did I mention Practice With Your Camera...Know its capabilities......

Hope this helps :):o

Cheers Gman

Some of my pics are HERE!!

Edited by gasgasman280

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

One of my favourites

4367909625_36b400656a_z.jpg

Although I have a DSLR I usually only carry my Sigma DP1 with me, which gives SLR quality in a pocketable camera. A fixed 28mm equivalent lens means you have to get close to the action but can give some interesting images; for this shot I was lying on the ground. I use manual focus so there is zero shutter delay.