40 Quid Ty250

jw73

hi all been on the site a couple of weeks now thought id show you my ty250 bought from a neighbour for 40 quid currently in the process of stripping and rebuilding the enginebmty002.jpg and thanks to tim for advice yesterday ;)

yes i thought it was a bargain i gotta put new mains and oil seals in it once i can get the bolt out the rear swing arm replace the swingarm bushes and bearings then its just a case of cleaning repainting and reasembly , im not after a show winner just want a tidy reliable bike as im new to trials . dont supose anyone knows a trick to getting dents out of a steel tank?

A good panel beater might be able to get to the dents, thats an art in itself.

Trials swingarm spindles can be a total SOB once they have corroded in their bushes etc. Dont beat the life out of it. I have found in the past the best way is to sacrifice the spindle by carefully drilling into the two ends just a little under the diameter of the spindle just past the mounts on the frame. You got to make sure you are drilling concentric with the spindle.

That usually allows you to break it free and work on getting the rest out on the bench. Does the spindle pass through the rear engine mount on these TY's?

Wayne....

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

If I was getting a dent out i would seal it completley and fit a tyre valve to the fuel cap, Purge it with CO'2 and pump in some pressure, Then slowly heat the dent, Bearing in mind its a fuel tank i wouldn't reccomend this method, but i would do it myself.

Looks like you got a bargain there, if the dent isn't too bad just fill it and paint..

Good luck

Azz

Edited by azzacat