Bolt

sherco25016

just bought some blue bolts for my sherco and put them in got to the last 1 and it snaped,

it is in the yolk so i really need to get the rest of it out and put a new 1 in, i still have the head of the bolt

any help would be great thanks josh

You need an extractor (Easy Out) this works by drilling a small hole down the centre of the bolt that has snapped off and using the Easy Out to srew in (opposite thred0 and the bolt will come out.

Just a thought I hope you are not using the anodised alluminium bols on your yoke, these need to be nipped up fairly tight hence they are steel?

Also, if they are under any stress they will discolor, I think this was the reason for anodised bolts. they use them in aircraft I think so when they are discolored they need replacing!

as for the problem bolt as GIZZA5 say's, an easy out will do the trick!

Tom

be a bit careful if you go for the easy out option

bearing in mind that you have already sheared a steel bolt, the thread must have siezed pretty tight. If you break the easy out you will have to have that spark eroded out.

| would soak with penetrating oil over night (or longer), apply some heat with your blow lamp then drill the hole for the easy out. If it is a through hole the drilling operation may drive the rest of the screw out. If not try the easy out. If that feels too tight ,, try increasing the drill size to the tapping drill size (you need to be pretty central!!!), if you try tapping with the first tap the old bolt usually collapses and can be withdrawn on the tap..

Good luck..

I think (IF I'm reading the original post correctly?) That he's snapped the anodised alloy bolt.

These are not really high tensile compared to the stock screws even if they are 7075-T6 alloy, and probably should not be used in this application.

Responsible traders in these fasteners always state they should not be used in safety critical areas, and Yokes are right up there after brakes probably!

They are more suited to low stress areas like attaching plastics.

Wayne....

To use Easyouts you are going to have to drill the shaft of the broken bolt. To do this use a left hand drill bit, ie it cuts in an anticlockwise direction.

The heat generated by the drilling and the the action of the drill itself is usually enough to remove the bolt.

I find it difficult to keep the bit central when drilling a broken bolt ( never mind if the offending bolt is in a recess) .

If you can't reach with a centre-punch before you drill, try filling the recess hole with a wooden dowel and drill that centrally to resist the dreaded 'drill-bit-wander'. :D

Worry about removing the dowel later!!?? :rolleyes:

All good advice. Also... There's a chance that now the head has sheared off the thread, that the thread is actually loose. See if you can tap it around (anti clockwise) with a centre punch, once you have a few threads sticking out you can grab it with a pair of mole grips.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.