What To Buy ?

edholland

Considering you are both 6ft4 ish i would deffinatly recomend buying a 26inch bike, I myself are 6ft4 and find the 20inch bikes abit too small for me (although with the right setup i can ride them). 20inch bikes are a little easier to move about and learn on, but 26inch bikes are more similar to your "std" mountain bike and because of the larger wheels the roll over obsticals alot better.

As for the bike, my best advice would be to have a look on Tartybikes.com they sell a huge range of different bikes and if you ring up they offer a huge lot of knowledge and advice, i know all the guys there personaly and they will be happy to help you out. You will find that the monty bikes are very expensive, it would be better off spending a littie less and buying something such as an echo, yaabaa or zoo, one of the best value for money bikes in my oppinion on the tartybikes site is the Meta VTT, they have a good specification and do not cost a great deal, failing that the Yaabaa 1499 is a very good bike!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Adam

Me and a friend a thinking of buying a Monty but are not sure wich one. We looked at the smaller ones 20 inch ? and the ones with the 26" wheels.

We are both tall (6' 4) is it better for us to get one with the bigger wheels ?

Tia,

Ed

Its completely personal choice, one of the MontyShop riders is about 6ft2 and he rides a 20" bike. If your just starting out i would say you will probably be more suited to a 26" as it will be more comfortable to ride!

I guess Monty are expensive in the same way that Ferrari are expensive, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

What sort of money are you looking at spending? are you looking at new or second-hand?

Edited by TheMontyShop

I guess Monty are expensive in the same way that Ferrari are expensive, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Yes, monty are expensive, but for the specifications etc there are alot better and cheaper alternatives, I agree the montys are very good bikes, but when you compare the specification of for example the monty 231 Kamel to the Yaabaa 1499, the specification is fairly similar, but i have heard of many monty frames and forks cracking, unlike the yaabaa frames and forks (forks are basicaly Koxx which i have been running for almost a year with no problems), frames/forks that are known to crack are not the best thing for a beginner, they want a bike which they can chuck about abit, abuse etc without worrying about it breaking......

However, "TheMontyShop" has said, are you looking to buy brand new or Second hand??

Adam

Edited by Bigman

I have been looking at a Monty Kamel 221, but am very put off by all the talk of the frames cracking / snapping / breaking and any other nasty words ending in "ing"!!!

I thought that paying lots of money for a mod would result in a quality bomb proof bike... but it would appear that the more you pay... the lighter the bike. This however can result in a less robust bike!

These bikes cost well over a grand and are ok for pros who get another bike if they break the one they are on! Having said that (dont know if it's true) but I heared that Monty offer a 2 yr warranty on their frames???

Also, experienced riders do launch themselves off big drop offs and make big gaps BUT ride more smoothly and precicely than a beginner.

... there's more to this than I first thought!!!

Firstly any bike will crack under certain abuse but i can insure you that if you were to have this problem which is extremely unlikely then Monty will be more than happy to help you out and get the problem rectified.

You are i correct when you say the more you spend the lighter the bike generally gets but you do not have to lose strength, Monty have introduced Ti into there frames to keep the strength/weight ratio.

Also i don't believe a company like Monty would still be selling so many bikes if they were snapping regularly.

Gareth if you would like to give me a call i can certainly give you more info, the number is on the site.

Edited by TheMontyShop

Firstly any bike will crack under certain abuse but i can insure you that if you were to have this problem which is extremely unlikely then Monty will be more than happy to help you out and get the problem rectified.

You are i correct when you say the more you spend the lighter the bike generally gets but you do not have to lose strength, Monty have introduced Ti into there frames to keep the strength/weight ratio.

Also i don't believe a company like Monty would still be selling so many bikes if they were snapping regularly.

Gareth if you would like to give me a call i can certainly give you more info, the number is on the site.

Cheers for the info (sorry dont know your name)!

I've no doubt that Monty are up there if not THE best at making trials bikes. It would appear that the top bikes are very light and serve their purpose well for the best riders in the world.

I'm ready to sacrifice a bit of weight over strength. Which are the toughest, most roubust Monty bikes currently on the market would you say?

I'm very much drawn to this bike from Zoo!...

ZOO! Python '09

Apparently it's quite robust at the expense of a bit of weight over a Monty Kamel. This doesnt bother me too much though as I would prefer a bike to last a bit longer and I'm totally new to cycle trials so the thing will probably feel as light as a feather to me anyway!

Does anyone have any comments good or bad on any of the components or the frame listed?

I'm very much drawn to this bike from Zoo!...

ZOO! Python '09

Apparently it's quite robust at the expense of a bit of weight over a Monty Kamel. This doesnt bother me too much though as I would prefer a bike to last a bit longer and I'm totally new to cycle trials so the thing will probably feel as light as a feather to me anyway!

Does anyone have any comments good or bad on any of the components or the frame listed?

The zoo is a very good bike, they are renown for their strenght, but they are very much a "street riders" bike, the stem and handlebars of the zoo are also fairly low for a 20inch bike, which can make it a little uncomfortable to ride (although these could be changed of course), have a look on the tartysite for the ozonys XR20 with the yellow rims, that is a very good bike, it is also cheaper and lighter than the Zoo, the specification of the ozonys also includes a disc ready rear hub and frame which is a mega bonus.....

Adam

Is there any chance you guys in the know can talk about the different types of trials cycles for us beginners?

The Zoo! bike for example as you say is more of a street bike. I've been told that disk breaks are better for coping with natural terrain where you might encounter more water and mud etc.

Edited by GarethR

I reccomend the monty 230 urban... have one myself and its around 5 years old now and no signs of those nasty "ing" words!

As for the disks there better in pretty much every condition but you will hear people saying you'll catch your rotors on walls and rocks.. this is infact a myth, I'm running dual disk and have never hit a rotor in the 5 years Ive had the bike!

Theres always the option of choosing your frame and building the bike yourself? search for a few push bike trials forums in the uk and look at second hand parts... you dont want to go spending a fortune on your ride to find out it isnt the sport for you as bikes deprecite so quickly!

Ed i would advise buying a bike with at least a hydrolic brake on the rear, learning with out one will prove to be difficult, you can fit them but this will cost around 120 for the pair so you will be better off finding a bike with them already.

Good luck with your search.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...
Considering you are both 6ft4 ish i would deffinatly recomend buying a 26inch bike, I myself are 6ft4 and find the 20inch bikes abit too small for me (although with the right setup i can ride them). 20inch bikes are a little easier to move about and learn on, but 26inch bikes are more similar to your "std" mountain bike and because of the larger wheels the roll over obsticals alot better.

As for the bike, my best advice would be to have a look on Tartybikes.com they sell a huge range of different bikes and if you ring up they offer a huge lot of knowledge and advice, i know all the guys there personaly and they will be happy to help you out. You will find that the monty bikes are very expensive, it would be better off spending a littie less and buying something such as an echo, yaabaa or zoo, one of the best value for money bikes in my oppinion on the tartybikes site is the Meta VTT, they have a good specification and do not cost a great deal, failing that the Yaabaa 1499 is a very good bike!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Adam

Didn't know you were on here Ad! Do you do motorbike trials aswell then?

I'd go for a stock aswell, coming from a motorbike trials background and being rather tall menas you'd probably be better off with a stock.

The Atomz Premier looks like a really good bike for the money, if you want dual maguras. I'd go for the Yaabaa 1199 though if I were you, they just came out recently and look really good value for the money.

Didn't know you were on here Ad! Do you do motorbike trials aswell then?

I'd go for a stock aswell, coming from a motorbike trials background and being rather tall menas you'd probably be better off with a stock.

The Atomz Premier looks like a really good bike for the money, if you want dual maguras. I'd go for the Yaabaa 1199 though if I were you, they just came out recently and look really good value for the money.

Hey Muel, I used to do mototrials and was curious so thought i would join up :closedeyes:

When i posted up a while ago the Atomz premier was not on the tarty site, but after looking at it (In the flesh too!) it is a very good value for money bike! When comparing it to the Yaabaa the only thing that realy stands out on the yaabaa is the addition of the front disc brake, the yaabaa has single ply tyres front and rear which can be prone to punctures, and small things like the yaabaa has a welded stem yet the Atomz has a forged stem (generaly stronger) I also think that the Atomz frame is a much nicer looking frame, the only thing that lets the atomz own is the forks, they did seem to be a little flexy when using the brake, But this would not realy cause any problems for a learner.

Adam

Edited by Bigman