Daft Trials Injuries

grahamjayzee

I remember a minor pipe burn that probably saved my life. A buddy and I had arrived a day early at a new Trials event riding area up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and were roaring around the trails checking the place out. Lots of small pine trees and rolly rocks and fast, twisty,sandy single track trails. I was in the lead and saw a small hill with rollers on it and started up the trail at top speed in between the pines. For some reason the tree (about 4 feet high) at the top of the short hill just didn't look right and at the last second I realized the situation and slammed on the brakes, laid the bike down and my buddy slammed into me. What my brain had quickly processed was that I wasn't looking at a 4 foot tree, but at the TOP of a tree, which I found out a few minutes later was about 50 feet tall and growing at the bottom of a 100 foot wide rocky ravine with 45 foot straight down, sheer drop walls.

Probably the only time in my like I was happy to get a pipe burn on my leg.......

Jon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

riding my bike at hawks nest with a severe hangover (still drunk), was going up the river, completely under estimated how much drive i would get on the wet rocks and flew up some rocks, flipped the bike, landed on my coccyx on a rock, then for good measure the bike landed on my leg, hot exhaust first. went to the van to get myself together and have a drink, went up some more rocks and flipped it again, bike landed on top of me again. went home and watched tele. had a limp for days and my coccyx was agony!

Back in the day, (that's the way old f**ts start a story) while learning to ride on a BSA Goldstar, my friend had me rolling

through the dirt course and was standing by this 2' "jump". As I made one of the circuits, he told me to give it full throttle

when my front wheel hit the bottom of the jump. And I did. What he had failed to convey, was I should be on the pegs, not

on my butt AND to keep the throttle open. Naturally, being young and dumb, when my front wheel cleared, I shut it down.

The resultant deceleration slammed the front wheel down and promptly launched me in the air.........still hanging on to bars

and throttle. When I descended, I was stretched out across the saddle and rear fender, with the throttle still wide open.....

Somewere across the flats I decided that me and bike must part company, so I just threw her away. Luckily she went right

and I did a beautiful full gainer to a two point landing on nose and forehead. Well, blood flowing from nose and running down

my 15 year old cheeks and full of testestosterone and machismo (not to mention being totally embarrassed), I jumped up

grabbed the bike and jumped on the crank....only to discover that the bike was still in gear. For the uninformed, those old

Goldstars had a safety built in so that it wouldn't start in gear, it would simply ratchet through. This naturally resulted in

a bleeding, embarrassed teenager promptly twisting his ankle! My bud was laughing so hard he couldn't walk. After the

proper instructions, I tried it again and it went so well I did again and again and.................I limped for awhile.

there was a steep slope dropping down into the river at bayford woods. It was a bit muddy so I just rolled in (off the brakes). Came in a bit fast, front wheel locks in the sand I get thrown over the bars head first into the cold water.

Not very nice riding a cold trial in the middle of december after going for a swim :guinness:

there was a steep slope dropping down into the river at bayford woods. It was a bit muddy so I just rolled in (off the brakes). Came in a bit fast, front wheel locks in the sand I get thrown over the bars head first into the cold water.

Not very nice riding a cold trial in the middle of december after going for a swim :guinness:

Reminds me of Michael Tye of Oban, flipped the bike in a steep burn, ended up on his back in the burn with the bike on top, water flowing in through the waist of his jacket and spouting out the neck.

Reminds me of Michael Tye of Oban, flipped the bike in a steep burn, ended up on his back in the burn with the bike on top, water flowing in through the waist of his jacket and spouting out the neck.

Jeez there's a name from the past Ross, ....Taynuilt trial?? that story rings a bell

Probably just heard the story..maybe?? Achallader would have been a Scottish Experts??

Think it was Experts, saw it with mine own beads, how we laughted, Michael still had his feet on the rests and hands on handlebars.

Think it was Experts, saw it with mine own beads, how we laughted, Michael still had his feet on the rests and hands on handlebars.

Wonder what happened to some of the other Oban boys. Met Gus Dickie at the Scottish a couple of years back (he flipped when he found out I was now over 40), Big Neil still floating about but has anyone seen Billy Matthews in recent years??

Last year at the Glenmaggie Easter trial in Victoria (Australia) I saw a rider take a bath in a creek up to his neck, only from his shoulders down he was still dry. Helmet completely underwater, at least it was warm weather.

My worst was breaking my leg whilst doing a trials demo. Teach me not to foot so hard.

jack_h Posted Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Not very nice riding a cold trial in the middle of december after going for a swim wink.gif

Reminds me of Biffsgasgas out at our club grounds, there is a creek (stream) that flows through the property, it was early spring so the water is still quite cold. He decides to splatter the opposite bank, first time made it fine, then the famous "Hey ya'll watch this". Second time rear tire landed in water and he gracefully fell over sideways, one side of his body was just soaked. We were too busy laughing to help pull him out, (such nice guys that we are) he was fine and finished riding out the day, all be it quite chilled....

The hill climb at Elsdon deer park circa 1988

determined to get my 125 fantic to the top, I changed down half way up, hit neutral and started going backwards ,upright and at some speed. Decided to bail out and ended up with whiplash to my kneck. Guess what number I was riding that day, yup 13!

last week at Bilsdale. riding through a streem, Hit a submerged log on a diagonal. broken rib, twisted wrist and ankle and dented pride. Oh how they laughed!