250,270, 290 ?

kevc

Depends on wether you want to learn the art riding trials or just potter around on the easy course for a bit of fun. If you want to develop skills go for a smaller engine as this will make you use your body more and learn different techniques, where as a larger engine capacity bike will just pull you around anywhere, hence not needing as much effort and technique. Im 12 stone and rode a 200 for a couple of years and found it to be a very good, competitive bike, although most people will say that they are too flat don't listen as they are good enough for any decent clubman rider and will enhance your skills.

If you are starting out then a 250 will, as a rule, be more forgiving and less tiring to ride. Any 250 will have enough power... easily!

That said, some bigger bikes are actually easier to ride than the 250 versions due to the plodding nature of the engine, it all depends on which model you are thinking of.

I was kind of a beginner last year and got a 2005 Gas Gas 250 pro, and although it was my first Trials bike for 25 Years i think it has plenty of power and have never had a problem doing any sections on it. It would be a good idea to let people know where your from by saying so on your Profile as if your close to a Trial go along and someone might let you have a wee spin on a bike to show you what the bikes are capable of ! Because it depends on a Few things like Experience, Weight, Age, Ability....etc !

I was kind of a beginner last year and got a 2005 Gas Gas 250 pro, and although it was my first Trials bike for 25 Years i think it has plenty of power and have never had a problem doing any sections on it. It would be a good idea to let people know where your from by saying so on your Profile as if your close to a Trial go along and someone might let you have a wee spin on a bike to show you what the bikes are capable of ! Because it depends on a Few things like Experience, Weight, Age, Ability....etc !

Thanks for thew advise, I've updated my profile, I'm torn between a Gas Gas and Beta probably looking at a 2002-2003 bike though I quite like the Scorpa Yamaha's.

My road bike is for sale on e bay and doing okay so I'll be out looking properly next week

Edited by KevC

The Scorpa is in my opinion a flimsy bike as far damage goes. The tank can hole easy as can the engine case. I have seen a young girls Scorpa engine break in two after it kicked back and holed the tank with the kickstart.

Montesa or Beta is about the strongest bike with decent motors if maintained.

I would try many bikes as you may regret youre first purchase.

The Scorpa is in my opinion a flimsy bike as far damage goes. The tank can hole easy as can the engine case. I have seen a young girls Scorpa engine break in two after it kicked back and holed the tank with the kickstart.

Montesa or Beta is about the strongest bike with decent motors if maintained.

I would try many bikes as you may regret youre first purchase.

Well I changed my mind again and picked up a Beta Rev3 year 2000 ;) I'm off out on Sunday with some of the lads to have a play and get the feel for the bike :D

Well I changed my mind again and picked up a Beta Rev3 year 2000 ;) I'm off out on Sunday with some of the lads to have a play and get the feel for the bike :D

Picture???? Can i ask what you paid for it?? Looking for one myself, Have you had chance to ride it yet?

The bike is great to ride. we did a full day out up in Wales, fair play I was knackered, probably one of the best days out I've ever had out on a bike, I'm used to 120mph wheelies and general hooliganism but the road bikes gone and I'm not regretting it :guinness: