1968 Saracen

mrpbody44

I just bought a 1968 Saracen with the Sachs 5 speed iron barrel motor. What size is the rear wheel on these bikes is it 19 in or 18 in? I have the REH hubs. Does any one have any photos of these bikes they can share. I have the Morley 2 Stroke Trials Bike book and another book with an article on these bikes but no specs.

I'm almost 100% certain all the Saracens used a 18 inch steel rimmed rear wheel probably Dunlop WM3. 19 inch tyres were getting very rare by 1968 as everyone had moved over to 18 inch rears by then. I used to have an original Saracen brochure from around 1970/71 when they had red glassfibre fuel tanks and side panels. Jon Bliss rode for them at one time, might be worthwhile contacting him as he definately rode the SSDT on Saracen along with Jack Galloway.

Big John

Hi,

....the Saracen would undoubtably have had an 18" rear wheel.

have a look at the the 1980 and 84 bikes I have put on the TC Garage forum under my profile. I have the older one rebuilt now, but suffereing a clutch problem, and the later one is just about ready to be reassembled.

If you can get hold of a book called "Motorcycle Competition" edited by Deryk Wylde and published by Ariel Publishing (fax 0159 7870652) there is a 14 page article on the "Saracen Story" with a couple of good photo's of the early iron barreled bikes. Ironically it was a mix up on specification of iron / alloy barrels on a shipment to the USA importer that eventually took the company down.

The book I mention above also has a full colour front cover showing the 1971 Scottish Saracen team of Jack Galloway, Steve Wilson and Jon Bliss with their bikes.

Andy

Thanks for the replys. I have the Motorcycle Competition book and it has a very good article on these bikes. I have a nice 18 in dunlop rim so I am in good shape. My Dalesmans, and Greeves Pathfinders from the period have 19 in rear so that go me confused. I will post some pics of the restoration as I go along.

Any one know about how many were made? I have see 5 of these here in the states. One had a Gold tank which was nice.

Well i had 2 saracens,well they all used 18 inch rear wheels.The ones with the iron barrel they had a 5 speed engine and they are the same engines as in the german army bike Hercules K 125 Military.The later one's with the alloy tank also had the alloy barrel.This engine was a six speed engine.Here in germany we put the engine from the latest army model the Hercules K180 Military in that bike and it works great.The best and closest gerbox you can get is from the 125 Hercules Motocross bike.These engines have the closest gear ration and ist the best for trials.All the engines the Saracens came with got that gear box.

@wetfeet.The man on that photo is from Poland and is riding a polish WSK.This is not a Saracen.This man was in italy last year for the pre 65 Trial of the Eurocup.

If anybody needs anymore infos about Saracen please give me a PM.I have a lot of Liturature about Saracen from Motorcycle Magazines and also the original sales brochures.If anybody needs Sachs spare parts he can also give me i PM.I can help with a lot of parts.You can also have a look on www.herculesig.de

Chrs:Mike

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

I just bought a 1968 Saracen with the Sachs 5 speed iron barrel motor. What size is the rear wheel on these bikes is it 19 in or 18 in? I have the REH hubs. Does any one have any photos of these bikes they can share. I have the Morley 2 Stroke Trials Bike book and another book with an article on these bikes but no specs.

Hi. My name is Ron Goodfellow and I designed and built the Saracen Motorcycles The rear wheel is a Dunlop WM3 18 inch. They were steel chrome rims.

Hi. My name is Ron Goodfellow and I designed and built the Saracen Motorcycles The rear wheel is a Dunlop WM3 18 inch. They were steel chrome rims.

Hi Ron,

I recently aquired the bike pictured in this thread. What an honor to hear the maker of it pass along information.

Thank You Sir,

Dennis

Edited by kanur

• 1 month later...

Ronald Thanks for any help with the bearings. I am starting the resto this winter. Ron Thanks for the info I have a NOS rim to lace to the hub.

Kanur Get in touch with me anytime. Not too many Saracen owners out there. I know Paul Danik has a Saracen MX bike

Kanur Get in touch with me anytime. Not too many Saracen owners out there. I know Paul Danik has a Saracen MX bike

I recently acquired a Saracen parts bike that was being sold as a trials model. After my friend picked it up and sent me better pictures it turns out it is an enduro model. I do not have it home yet but I am hoping it is savable.