1974 Ok. National

jse

I collected a historic scrapbook (actually it's going into 2 now) for our club (NEOTT) and got old photos, banners, flyers etc from the old members and made copies for the book. I happened to run into this results sheet from the 1974 Oklahoma National and thought some of you "older" Trials riders (like me) might get a kick out of it. It brought back some good memories for me.

Jon

Crud, the first one was unreadable, I'll re-size it:

Edited by JSE

Well i guess not only the older guys liked it but the younger guys did too!

My grandpa is in there his name is Dick DeBolt he placed 20th he beat trials

greats Jerry Young, and Wiltz Wagner i mean what more can you ask for?

Hey Mason!

Bob Hopkins was a long time number one plate from michigan stuffed into the mix there. Lots of great names on this list. I dig it!

--Biff

That is the late, great Joe Gugliemeli. It would take a lot of words to tell you what a great guy and rider he was. I have lots of Joe G stories. One year we went to the Spanish World round. In those days all the Spainsh bikes came standard with 4 ply Firestone trail tires. All the factories loaned us bikes with proper Dunlops installed except Ossa gave Joe a bike with Firestones. No matter, he went on to finish Top American. He was tragically killed in a trailriding accident years ago. He should have been National Champion. He got screwed. He rode on the Yamaha and Honda Teams. He could ride anything.

That was a great National in OK. Great sections. Close competition. 35 years ago! Yikes!

Check out Marland's number of cleans. More than the winner.

Jon, I can't read how many cleans I had. Can you read it? I had a good day. Soooo many good riders.

Martin

Edited by Martin Belair

That is the late, great Joe Gugliemeli. It would take a lot of words to tell you what a great guy and rider he was. I have lots of Joe G stories. One year we went to the Spanish World round. In those days all the Spainsh bikes came standard with 4 ply Firestone trail tires. All the factories loaned us bikes with proper Dunlops installed except Ossa gave Joe a bike with Firestones. No matter, he went on to finish Top American. He was tragically killed in a trailriding accident years ago. He should have been National Champion. He got screwed. He rode on the Yamaha and Honda Teams. He could ride anything.

That was a great National in OK. Great sections. Close competition. 35 years ago! Yikes!

Jon, I can't read how many cleans I had. Can you read it? I had a good day. Soooo many good riders.

Martin

More than 19, and less than 30! Hey Martin, jump on a plane and come on over to Houston this weekend. We are having the 6th annual (skipped a year) Gary Jackson 2 Day trial, and sure would like to see you again.

- Darrell

Martin

Martin,

The sheet I have is hard to read but I think it was 24.

I think that was one of Marland's "Clean or Crash" days.......:D

Jon

What a great trip down memory lane!

Lets see, I was a Junior in High School then -- and all those riders ahead of me were my heroes (and still are)!

Thanks for posting!

Curt Comer

Hi Curt!

Nice to see you on board!

Jon

Where are the rest of the results? I dont see SR 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, Womens, 125 expert, High School ect ect :D

Thanks for putting up the results Jon. I think Im starting to sound like Mich Lin

HA!

I, of course, am one of the few beings still alive that know,

in reality, YOU are really Lane's Evil Twin............

Your secret is, as ever, safe with me....

Jon

Well I guess I am not one of the younger guys but not quite one of the older guys (my kids will say otherwise)

I was born in 1973, wow some of those names on the list I know from being around as a kid, Bob Hopkins (did some Demos with him) and Dick DeBolt, some of the riders I heard Dad talk about a lot Lane Leavitt, Marlan Whaley, Bernie Schreiber, and some others I have heard part of their stories here on this site, Wiltz Wagner, Martin Belair, Curt Comer.

So for a guy in the "middle" this was really cool to see. Thanks

I would hope that there will be continued coverage of the 5 people named "Rider did not finish", whatever happened to them? :huh::D

Wow, that is great to look at. I was 5, just getting my TY80! Those guy's set the bar very high. There are so many interesting things to get from looking at those results, how many things have changed and others have not.

Thanks Jon!

Mark Manniko

Wow, that is great to look at. I was 5, just getting my TY80! Those guy's set the bar very high. There are so many interesting things to get from looking at those results, how many things have changed and others have not.

Thanks Jon!

Mark Manniko

Hi again, Mark!

I was poking through the NEOTT scrapbook a few minutes ago and came across a copy of a 1977 issue of "Plonker's Press" and saw this nice full page photo on Marland on the factory Honda four-stroke, so I tried to take a photo of it and re-size it to post size, hope it works.

Cheers, Mark.

Jon