Rear Brake

jonny beta

While riding, the rear brake on my gaser heats up and heats to the point were it locks on. i have had the caliper apart cleaned everything and reassembled.

the system was bleed and the oil pumps through no problem.

has anyone any ideas on what the problem would be before i start spending money.

thanks

While riding, the rear brake on my gaser heats up and heats to the point were it locks on. i have had the caliper apart cleaned everything and reassembled.

the system was bleed and the oil pumps through no problem.

has anyone any ideas on what the problem would be before i start spending money.

thanks

There could be a problem with the caliper pucks binding in the housings, but the most common cause of rear brake drag I've seen is that the plunger rod on the back of the brake pedal is adjusted up too far, usually in an effort to lower the height of the lever tip for easy access by the toe of the boot. Sometimes riders will ride with the boot toe on the lever tip, which will cause the same condition, but that seems to be rare, although I've seen it once or twice.

The situation is similar to the common clutch issue (and sometimes front brakes) where the adjustment screw on the clutch lever is adjusted in too far. All master cylinders on bikes need to have the internal piston return fully back to the stop, which usually is the circlip that holds the piston assembly in. Take off the rubber boot on the M/C and check the piston to make sure is coming back completely.

What will happen if the piston does not drop down far enough, is that the bleed hole that allows fluid from the small circular reservoir to enter/exit will not be uncovered. The system is then "closed", the fluid heats up from normal friction of the pads on the disc, which expands the fluid (which can not bleed off to the reservoir), which causes more pressure on the pads, causing more friction and more heat etc.

I'd check that first and let us know what you find.

Jon

I agree with everything said previously but had an interesting thing happen as well with a small stone getting kicked up and landing on the top of the brake arm in behind the frame, this caused the same problem as not having enough slack in the push rod in the master cylinder.

Spencer