Expectations ?

slogger

I know this is is probably going to lead to a "How long is a piece of string" question, but after buying a 95 Techno to get back into trials after 20 years, I have been quite happy that a good percentage of my ability returned. Unfortunately whilst the bike has been great for getting back into it, it had niggles and I ended up throwing money at it. In its first full trial more problems arose so I have blown it out via ebay and am looking for something more permanent / modern.

I have tried my sons 02 125 Sherco and like the geometry and handling so am planning to stay with this manufacturer.

My question is around budget vs age. Ideally I want to spend up to

The monts seem to be older for the money. I am worried about going younger than 02?

Scorpa' s are an interesting attraction but they just look wrong if that makes sense......probably one of the best twin shocks I had was a 200 Whitehawk and going back to a Yam would be good, but I wonder how they ride (I know the answer......I need to try one), but the Sherco did seem to suit me. Don't know how different the larger engine machines are compared to the 125 ?

Im 5ft 6 and 76kg. The 125 seemed to pull me up most things.

It is interesting that

I do not understand what you expect for l 1000, some sorting may be neccessary! I would go through everything on a older used bike! Condition is premier unless you can rely upon the maintenance performed. A double sided coin! With which, you get wot you pay for! :D

Not sure when you post a question on a Sherco forum why you get so may other well wishers trying to make life complicated with their other brand opinions.

If you already have a Sherco in the household it makes perfect sense to continue with the brand especially if you like the ergonomics which are very important to enjoying your ride. 95% of the parts will be interchangeable, and the Sherco design is improved incrementally year to year with any revised parts fitting the earlier models.

The 125 geometry will be very close to the 2.90 or 2.50, (some 125's have shorter swingarm) although the 125 will have a lighter feel when riding with the shorter stroke and lighter flywheel.

Just take your usual calm and collected approach to methodically check over the parts that you would expect to have had some wear and tear, and check the action of the rear shock. A ride up the road through the gears and a listen to the engine will tell you a lot, as will a good chat with the owner. Not always possible with e-bay so beware.

Unless there are a lot of used bikes available 1000 seems too good for an 05.

Good luck :D

Thanks to all for the comments so far, loads to consider as this will be the bike that serves me probably for the next 2 years. I am fairly handy with the tools so am expecting the odd tweak here and there. I must admit I feel like a bit of skin-flint only spending

hello slogger ive tried them all apart from the beta the gasgas pros were no good from 02 to 04 clutch and gearboxs exploding getting water in the gear box i had 1999 sherco 250 great bike then got 2000 290 great bike then got a gasgas 280 pro when thay came out in 02 nothin but problems got 03 pro to see if that was better not much then got 04 scorpa 250 sy in my eyes one of the best rides i had great bike and bullet proof then changed to 05 sherco 4 stroke thats a no no it was more of a pushbike than a motor bike never started then got a 06 sherco 290 great bike same as the scorpa great ride now i have the montesa 4rt never looked back fantastic bike to ride but cost a lot the betas have a problem with the staiter this has just cost a friend 200 pound to get fixed so if i was you look towards the sherco great bike

Must say, I am near enought settled on a Sherco (best condition I can get for money, ideally an 03 or earlier).

I am still drawn towards Scorpas but for all of the wrong reasons (looks/point of difference)! You dont see many at club level trials and the geometry and set up just seems wrong (but is that because it does not follow the normal style / image)?

Ultimately its about the bike that gets you around with the least dabs and allows you to get the most out of your skills and I know a Sherco will do that........damm you Scorpa for causing me to hesitate!

I suggested a Gas Gas TXT as an option purely because they are very close to Sherco's for reliability, build quality, weight and handling.

I didn't mention other bikes for this very reason, but since others are mentioning the Scorpa :D - I have been very pleased with my SY250 for use in local (fairly easy) muddy Midland events. I've owned or tried many of the others and found the Scorpa most flatters my limited ability. The build quality is very good and

Sherco 2.9's got quite perky in 02-03 due to the tuning, not sure about the 2.5's , yet I doubt as gentile as earlier versions.

My '05 2.5 is still the fav! In my mind anyway! ;) And any still very useful !!!!!