Project Neglected Bultaco 340

wayne_weedon

Well didn't know if to start a blog or a forum topic but chose the latter.

Some of you know I have a 199B Sherpa amongst my twinshockers and it's been with me a long time, BUT I had a long hiatus from the sport and a shorter one out of the twinshock business. Being slightly disinterested for a while meant I didn't even look at my bikes let alone look after them much, they had been in storage and thats about it.

All "Fired Up" again now though and really feel guilty I left my bikes for so long, I also realised I'd lost out on a lot of fun.

So my punishment begins! and the bike was completely torn down when I returned from a trial last Sunday. Took all of an hour to get it down to frame/swinging arm. and another 2 hours to get the Swinging arm out! I also be using the bike as a testbed for a few parts I have up my sleeve;)

Here's a pic of the bike from when I first got her! Not bad original condition really.

cont.....

post-8124-1236200698.jpg

Edited by wayne_weedon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Result of todays efforts by my Blasting people.

Not a bad job especially for 25 quid, but they did miss a few tiny spots which still have white paint. I can deal with that though.

Off to be powder coated next week after I have giving it a good going over on the weekend. A client has a powder coating line and some Signal White in stock so that should be a fairly cheap but good job too.

To be continued...

Wayne...

post-8124-1236200798.jpg

Hi wayne , Forgot to tell you i fitted taper roller bearings for the steering , and ive got pursang mx foot pegs loads better than originals ,Nigel dabster will be on soon with his 51 mods ..Cheers Keith ;)

Got all those in hand Keith ;)

Now where the hell did I hide away the 199B decals I bought from CI Sport in the 90's! I found about 10 of the FIM decals but have put the others somewhere else.

I may buy one of those Gonelli Polyprop tanks for this bike. I'd hate to ding the alloy tank, same with the 199A it's tank has been stored away safe on a shelf for years while the bike had a crappy miller GRP one fitted for use.

The bike has actually been in Storage with no forks or wheels fitted, they were taken out when I had bikes stored in the attic. (Concrete ceilings!) I still have a few tucked away up there with the wheels and forks for the 340.

The Wheels will need rebuilding, was absolutely shocked to see the current retail price of akront rims recently, the rims are OK on this bike though, just needs polishing and new spokes and nipples to brighten the wheels up.

Airbox is not as good as I'd have wished (Cracked in one rear corner) but it's not totalled, I can repair that in satisfactory way.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

Hello,

With fitting tapered roller bearings to the steering, are you trying to turn it into a Italjet? Just curious.

If by any chance you don't finish this bike, can you send it to Aus and I'll finish it for you?

Thanks

brt650 ;)

Nice project Wayne, im starting my jigsaw puzzle soon with my 199 all the bits are nearly ready to go, are you going to do any engine mods?

Good mod done by the previous owner of mine was a coupme of grease nipples on the swingarm!

Also who does the taper bearings?

No Engine mods. Don't think it needs any apart from changing the carb for a new Dellorto. It's still got its original BING amazingly not worn yet!

Engine has not been started for about 6-7 years and I didn't bother trying before the strip down. It does however kick over nicely with loads of healthy compression. It was always a mechanically quiet engine compared to my 199A which I allowed to have a little piston slap!

The engine will definitely be last on the list.

Wayne...

BEFORE you powder coat delug and move footrests back and get a bracket welded on for the exhaust at least.

As I said in PM I never had any real issue with stock Sherpa footrest position but I'm still open to suggestions as I've never bothered to try altering it. Never had too much trouble making the front end light being a 10-10.5 stone guy.

The gusset the hangers are mounted on with the addition of an extra hole I guess could be made to accept a bolt on hanger plate which would allow me to play around with positions. What are other 199 owners opinions on footrest position?? If moved how far back and same height??

Still trying to work out what you mean by a bracket for the exhaust?

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon