Project Neglected Bultaco 340

wayne_weedon

Looking good Wayne.

Thanks Steve. It was worth the time spent last w/e going over the blasted finish to flatten it back a bit. The finish on the powder coat is real slick apart from the little areas meantioned above.

Thats the trouble with dealing with old fabrications with all those little voids under welded on brackets etc. They trap oil which can bubble out in the ovens. Cota 330 frame will be blasted next week!

Wayne....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I'll be riding them Steve. Though I think as I said before I may resort to a Polyprop tank for when riding in anger. A scratch on the frame is nothing compared to the paint falling off and rust forming because I didn't even look at my bikes!

Making Amends did seem apt. Time and care certainly, bugger all money has been spent though!

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

Yes I know it can happen. We always drill a small drain hole on commercial fabrications with closed voids to deal with the problem.

A good couple of preheat cycles in the ovens can also boil it off.

Some progress today. Fitted a little mod which has been in development a little while :closedeyes:

Wayne....

post-8124-1237549264.jpg

Edited by wayne_weedon

Normal bright zinc is a c.10 micron coating. Nothing at all to be concerned about. I'm not talking about hot dipped galvanising.

Wayne....

Do you not have to consider hydrogen embrittlement with the plating process?

It can occur on all electroplating types and the common solution is to bake the parts which I think releases the trapped hydrogen.

It is usually more a problem on hardened steels and high carbon steels. Now I'm not even sure what an 80's Spanish frame was made from, but I can certainly ask my platers who are not the average backstreet cowboys (Even Talon use them :closedeyes: ) what they recommend if anything.

Wayne...

looking good, love those swingarm bearings

I was pretty damned pleased myself how it turned out in the end.

Not sure what to do next now! Probably clean up the bash plate and refit and then start working on the front end. I'll probably wet spray the blue stuff though.

Anyone know a RAL colour code for the Bultaco Blue? I always used Ford Electric Blue before, but not sure it's absolutely right.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

It can occur on all electroplating types and the common solution is to bake the parts which I think releases the trapped hydrogen.

It is usually more a problem on hardened steels and high carbon steels. Now I'm not even sure what an 80's Spanish frame was made from, but I can certainly ask my platers who are not the average backstreet cowboys (Even Talon use them ;) ) what they recommend if anything.

Wayne...

Later Bultaco frames were chromoly, although I don't know the exact alloy.

Not sure what to do next now! Probably clean up the bash plate and refit and then start working on the front end. I'll probably wet spray the blue stuff though.

Anyone know a RAL colour code for the Bultaco Blue? I always used Ford Electric Blue before, but not sure it's absolutely right.

Wayne....

Not sure, but that Toyota blue I have seen on the FJ cruisers looks real good. Would have to compare it!

Personally, I just can not do anything permanant with the powder coat, as it seems spot repairs and match are just too difficult. (yes that stuff chips too) ;)

Wayne....

RAL 5015 for the 340 199B apparently

Big John

Funny you should say that John. I just cleaned the tank with a bit of T-Cut (No lacquer left on the tank) and thats what I came up with when offering the RAL colour swatches to it.

A slightly "muddier" blue compared to Electric Blue.

Wayne...

Funny you should say that John. I just cleaned the tank with a bit of T-Cut (No lacquer left on the tank) and thats what I came up with when offering the RAL colour swatches to it.

A slightly "muddier" blue compared to Electric Blue.

Wayne...

That is why, I suggested! Ck out the Toyota color, I could be totally off here, but would like to know, as you just have to see it side by side.