1980 Fm330 ... :)

axulsuv

Just rode the fantic 50 I got for my daughter ...

Cost of trip to Ohio and bike ... $650.00

weekend alone with my 15 year old young lady , priceless !

The look on her face when I got this one owner , still has moulding knubs on the oe pirelli's , bike to fire up and ride around the yard with some fresh premix ... EVEN BETTER !!!!

The fork seals let go right away but still what a great bike for my kid !

Will be a real easy restore project ...

Glenn

;) And Copey if you see this you said I'd have to judge this 50 ... Well after only two days of sitting with fresh fuel in her (and a new petcock and fuel line to stop a fuel leak ) , she fired first kick and proceded to do wheelie's at will in first and second gear with my 200lbs on her !

Think of it as a 240 - 70lbs and 10hp and a 3.50 x 18 back tire ... and about 2 1/2 inches skinnier ! What a cool bike .

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

OK !!! Here are some shots fresh from the toy room ... I got a little upset when due to age and a good scrub with dish soap , most of the fantic lettering on the tank washed off !!! :thumbup: But there is enough left so a pattern and a shot of white krylon fusion spray will repair that . And Bill @ frankfeild fantic solved my fork seal blues , He's shipping me some along with a bunch of side cover grommets for both fantics , Now the fun part starts in earnist ...

Glenn :closedeyes: (and my daughter thinks I got it for her ...! )

post-1232-1237505317.jpg

post-1232-1237505366.jpg

post-1232-1237505404.jpg

post-1232-1237505425.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

• 4 months later...

:thumbup: Ours is doing well , Thanks to Bill Pye for brakes and rubber bits and the folks at France trials classic for 428 sprockets for the little old girl ... Got fresh rubber on both ends . (finding The correct size tube for the front over here was a chore ...!) I got it running well , but I'm not happy with the carb performance , All the info I have (original sales brochure's and parts list ) states that it should have a dellorto SHA 14/12 carb. and ours has a dellorto PHBG 15 as ... As you may know the sha carb is a little flatslide and the phbg is a round slide . No matter what I try with the carb that is on it I can't get a clean , low idle or good off idle throttle response . That and the clutch won't engage correctly until it's hot and i make it break loose in 4th gear or above . The plates may just be gummed up after sitting unused for 20 odd years ... Changing the oil has had no effect . Just out of curiosity what carb is on yours ? And maybe we should start a FM330 club , The only other one that I know of over here that still works belongs to Ryan Young ... So at least we are in good company ! But I do find it's like riding a trials bicycle , Extremely sensitive to rider position and input . And as my Daughter just wants to play on it once and awhile in the yard , my 13 year old son will make his trials debut on it at a ITSA event in North Carolina on the 16th of august . (video to follow ...)

Where did you find the one you have ?

Glenn :crying:

Hi Glenn.

I bought mine off Ebay here in the UK just last week.The guy done a Top Quality restoration job,he's left me to put the first scratch on her.

Im now looking for a 80cc barrel and head from the FM430 engine to fit onto the FM330 engine,(same engine),i've even been told that you can fit a 100cc sleeve into the barrel with a suzuki piston.We will see.

Im going to fit a 400 x 18 rear tyre and a 275 x 21 tyre on the front to see if she like's it or not.

Since i picked the bike up i've had little time to have a good look into thing's,i do know it's the proper SHA flatside carb fitted and sure it's the 14/12,i'll check when i get the chance,it rev's out lovely but im having trouble finding a nice idle,bearing in mind how old the carb is i will put the poor idle down to age of carb,Time to treat it to a new one i think.Dellorto still have the correct carb for the bike listed on there website,so that should'nt be a problem.

Yep my clutch drags aswell,something i will look into.

This bike is'nt much smaller than my 200 and about 20kgs lighter than the 200,if i can get the engine beefed up,get some stiffer springs on the rear shock's and a stronger chain i'll enter the old girl into afew easy classic twinshock Trials.

Im in the FM330 club for sure,that makes 3 of us :thumbup:

I hope your Son and Daughter appreciate there Fantic,it really is a very special little bike.

Steve.

Edited by bilc0

Steve hmmmm... If it's not to much bother could you get me the crucial info from your carb ,so we can get it to Matt Cooper at www.dellorto.co.uk ? And maybe he'll make us a deal on 2 carbs ... What is the OD of the mainifold stub your carb slides on ? And you say a 80cc top end is a bolt on affair !!?? Ours is a little noisy/rattily so a complete top end swap may be the best option , as I'm sure you'll agree it's not much fun above 2nd gear ... The Folks at francetrialclassic.com set me up with 428 sprockets and I think they had another set ... (not that little bike will ever wear one out , not much load for a 428 chain !)

Have fun !

Glenn

I got a call to say it is ready for collection, so will pick it up today.

Gonna leave it off the bike until after the Red Rose trial this weekend

then I can run it in gently next week at our playground.

Must say I'm loving this 156cc build I'm riding at the mo, being a lithe

15st superhunk I could do with a little more whumph on the long climbs.