Gas Gas 250 Txt 2001

idc1873

i cant comment on a 2001 but i had a 99 for years and my dad rides a 2000. they are much less fragile than the newer ones. since owning my '04 in the last 2 months i've had to replace main bearings, wheel bearings, linkage bearings, clutch plates among other things. the bike should be sorted now but when i compare this expenditure to what i spent on the '99 its incomparable. the '99 got used as a field slag for a few years and once every year we held big parties in our field and it would get thrashed along the fields by drunk people who've never ridden bikes who think its normal to ride full throttle in first gear for 500 metres etc, plus i used to trial it and i dont think i even cleaned the air box or changed a plug on it once. they're not as light or handleable as a later bike but are perfectly adequate for your average trial.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been riding my 2002 TXT 280 Edition for several years (I bought it used), and I really like it. My '02 is the same design as the '01. I just keep the air filter clean and change the tranny oil a couple of times a year (ATF from Walmart). Very reliable, good power, nimble enough, and is able to do things way beyond my abilities (Advanced). I re-jetted the carb per GasGas USA's recomendation, and it runs better than new. I just use it for Trials events and practice. I've replaced the brake fluid, fork fluid, rear tire, and upgraded brake pads in the front. I may replace the fan next month, as the fan bearings squeal sometimes. I may have gotten water in the fan motor at some point. I also repaired some nicks in the fork tubes (from getting tangled in barbed wire) and replaced the fork seals. My forks have been oil tight ever since (1 year so far). I don't think the bike has depreciated ($) one bit in the four years that I have been riding it. Make sure you get the Maintenance Video with the bike. :closedeyes:

First point: The "before pro" (pro Pro`s as to say) Gassers are very solid, powerful and so on. If your ambisions are to have fun and ride in fields or at trails in the woods or ride drunk or anything like this, they are more than good enough. Also as they are (at least ought to be) cheap, you can always sell it for the same price as you bought it. Perfect as a first bike if you dont know if trials is something for you.

But I am always amased when someone says that a "pro Pro" is good enough because it can do much more than I am capable to. Of couse it can, but thats not the point. A Pro is a so much better trial bike that you - with the same amount of skills - can do much more on a Pro than on a "pro Pro".

The guy who wins all our competitions are riding a "vintage Yamaha". That doesnt mean that the Yamaha is a very good bike. This only tell us that the guy is an exellent trial rider. Must say that when he expect some higher competition he always bring a Pro as a backup. He hates to loose...

Thoughts from Norway.. :-)

-Jan

Edited by JanDyb

I guess its a matter of a personal "value judgement". Sure, you could pay three times as much for a new bike, and maybe ride a little better (after you have practiced and competed for a couple of years, or more). But what do you actually get for the extra $5,000 spent? You might get a $7 hunk of plastic/trophy and your name and number on a spreadsheet somewhere? I guess it all depends on how much that is worth to you personally.

Why one could invest the difference (in the price of a used versus an new bike) in the stock market and.... ...oh never mind. :rolleyes:

Its all good.

I guess its a matter of a personal "value judgement". Sure, you could pay three times as much for a new bike, and maybe ride a little better (after you have practiced and competed for a couple of years, or more). But what do you actually get for the extra $5,000 spent? You might get a $7 hunk of plastic/trophy and your name and number on a spreadsheet somewhere? I guess it all depends on how much that is worth to you personally.

Why one could invest the difference (in the price of a used versus an new bike) in the stock market and.... ...oh never mind. :rolleyes:

Its all good.

Who said anything about a new bike? The big change came in 2002 when the Pro was first introduced, and the difference from the older ones are HUGE!

-Jan

I loved my old 02 Edition. Very reliable bike - never a problem. Easy to ride. +1 on what others already said. Recently sold it for an 08 pro. The biggest difference I notice is how the bike invites me to ride it aggresively. The suspension is Soooo much better, the engine snappy and of course the light weight, all make it really fun to ride.

I loved my old 02 Edition. Very reliable bike - never a problem. Easy to ride. +1 on what others already said. Recently sold it for an 08 pro. The biggest difference I notice is how the bike invites me to ride it aggresively. The suspension is Soooo much better, the engine snappy and of course the light weight, all make it really fun to ride.

Did you get a 250, 280, or 300? Does the '08 have a red frame? The 280 Pro is the most common one where I ride. I rarely see a 250 or 300.

How long have you been competing? What level are you at?

Who said anything about a new bike? The big change came in 2002 when the Pro was first introduced, and the difference from the older ones are HUGE!

-Jan

Good point Jan! There I go exagerating again... :rolleyes:

Though I've heard from the guys I ride with that the first year or two that the Pro was out they had problems with their new clutch design. And they also seem to be a bit more fragile than the older GG's (bent shifter shaft, etc.). It could be just the guys I ride with (small sample size).

Its all good.

Ok, one other thought... These are just my opinions, based on my life experiences.

Just keep in mind this famous quote, and you'll be fine...

"Opinions are like a**holes... everybody's got one!" :thumbup:

Good point Jan! There I go exagerating again... :rolleyes:

Though I've heard from the guys I ride with that the first year or two that the Pro was out they had problems with their new clutch design. And they also seem to be a bit more fragile than the older GG's (bent shifter shaft, etc.). It could be just the guys I ride with (small sample size).

The guys You ride with are quite right. The early Pro`s had some issues, but as - Jon always points out - nothing that cant be sorted out with proper maintenance.

And I must point out that I also really liked my 1999 270. It was a wery solid and nice bike and it made the horns grow out of my forehead when riding easy terrain, trails and so on, but when it comes to handling in difficult terrain the pro`s are way ahead.

-Jan

Did you get a 250, 280, or 300? Does the '08 have a red frame? The 280 Pro is the most common one where I ride. I rarely see a 250 or 300.

How long have you been competing? What level are you at?

I got a 250pro - the 08 is the last of the black framed bikes. Bought a leftover for the right price ( I do like the new red frame bikes - but they were too expensive at the time). 280's used to be the most popular here too, but the 250 has been gaining favor as its an easier bike to ride in the somtimes slippery NewEngland terrain. Even the top pro rider here rides the 250. Im just a novice and dont compete that much, but hope to move upto intermediate now that I have the pro - The new bike instills alot more confidence in the rough stuff. Ive ridden several 280's and a couple of 300's and really like the 250 best. However, If I lived at altitude (Colorado for instance) and did alot of big hits, I would probably opt for the 300.

• 2 weeks later...