Owners Of The Evo, I Would Love To Hear Your Feedback On The Bike, (290)!

pillar

Thanks Duggan, I followed your advice regarding removal of the back wheel and linkage and found that the bottom dogbone bearings were dry having never had grease on . The long bolt was also extremenly tight. When I loosened it off the whole linkage seem to go very smooth so I Just greased the bearings and put it all together .Hey presto squeak gone and rear suspension very smoth.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might have been dripping with grease but there is no grease in the dog bone bearings ! I thought the same thing when I got mine cause there was grease around the bolts and nuts.

But when I went to service it like I always do I found that the factory greased the bolts to put then in and put no grease in the linkage bearings. Motofire take a look and let us know.

You might want to look at the steering stem bearings and the swingarm bearings also. Beta did do a very good job designing the dogbones , they have real seals instead of just a washer and the bushings have been coated like the axles top notch !!!!

I'll take 'em apart and let you know....probably a day or 2.

I just finished with the rear suspension. There was a fair amount of grease in there, even on the swingarm. FWIW my bike came in on the last shipment to the US. I did not get into the steering stem yet.

I did notice the clutch cover bolts were all loose and the gasket was weeping. Also the CDI was loose.

I have had 3 Rev 270's, and 04.07 & 08. Here is my take on the 09 EVO 290.

#1 The engine is smooth!! The 270 was very smooth but nothing like this!

#2 More torque! 270 did not lack but the 290 is stronger yet. Very easy to control though. almost 4 stroke like torque off bottom and never stops!

#3 Light in the rear. The bike feels to me like it lost all of its weight in the rear end. much less effort to move around.

#4 fit and finish and overall quality is still in a class by itself. Only a Montesa can come close in quality.

#5 Rear linkage is very easy to maintain. Shock is off in 5-6 minutes. Rear was sprung a little light for my frame but I had the spring rate measured

an wound up two different spring rates. Much better for me.

#6 The bike still gets traction like the Rev. Its like cheating after riding any other brand.

#7 Personally I though the front felt a bit heavy compared to my 08 but I have made small bar adjustments and fork setting s and it feels better now. Maybe I am just used to it?

#8 Turns 8 inches tighter than the Rev did. For the record the Rev turned 7 inches tighter than a Montesa or Sherco. down side is you have to pay attention

to the front end so it will not fold or push. Once you get used to it how tight it turns it is nice. Less hopping needed.

Out of the 4 bikes we got in 3 of the carbs were spot on and one needed a float adjustment.

So far everything seems positive on the EVO for me. I feel the bike has taken me up a level from my 08 Rev which for the record I really like that bike also.

Once again I find myself saying how can it get better than this????? Time will tell!

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me after putting up that snippit on the Beta, it is on my posterior, cannot get rid of it, may have to have it lanced!

COPE,

Might that not be a boil?

I hear that down South Texas way they have crawfish and shrimp boils.

How do you North Texans get boils?

Cheers,

DFW

PS

It is snowing today in Wyoming. I do miss the BBQ brisquit, ribs, and the seafood. We are having the first trials of the season on April 25th. Is it against FIM rules to attach snow shoes to your trials bike?

COPE,

Might that not be a boil?

I hear that down South Texas way they have crawfish and shrimp boils.

How do you North Texans get boils?

Cheers,

DFW

PS

It is snowing today in Wyoming. I do miss the BBQ brisquit, ribs, and the seafood. We are having the first trials of the season on April 25th. Is it against FIM rules to attach snow shoes to your trials bike?

All is well DFW, Just one of them B-52 mosquitos!

I was in Co once an was up near the Wyo border, I seen the sign, stopped the car, got out, put my foot accross the sign and toutched the ground. Never been further north, no reason, turned around and went home! But I have seen YO!

For some odd reason, I have never wanted to go further. Mind you, I have covered coast to coast, even the Bahamas, in a small aircraft even(very small), brought shrimp from the gulf and fresh strawberries from FL(no mud bugs from LA)!

As this sort of stuff is always an adventure, a trip to BC to visit Fracy is on the list! Being limited to about o more than 10,000 ft elevation, course selection is critical in which way to go crossing the rockies! :thumbup:

All is well DFW, Just one of them B-52 mosquitos!

I was in Co once an was up near the Wyo border, I seen the sign, stopped the car, got out, put my foot accross the sign and toutched the ground. Never been further north, no reason, turned around and went home! But I have seen YO!

For some odd reason, I have never wanted to go further. Mind you, I have covered coast to coast, even the Bahamas, in a small aircraft even(very small), brought shrimp from the gulf and fresh strawberries from FL(no mud bugs from LA)!

As this sort of stuff is always an adventure, a trip to BC to visit Fracy is on the list! Being limited to about o more than 10,000 ft elevation, course selection is critical in which way to go crossing the rockies! :thumbup:

Flying with Cope in a "very small" aircraft. Now that is a scary thought!