Practicing

While out practicing what is the main way you's practice?

Do you focus on certain areas each week like hitting big steps, hoping etc

or do you just ride about and hit whatever takes your fancy.

im wondering what way people find it best to increase your skill level to become a better rider.

thanks

Work out a section and ride it until I can clean it, then put in a tighter turn or a bigger step and keep at that until I can get the best score that I can.

Then I try it in different gears to see if the result changes. If you practice something enough it will become second nature: Unconcious-Competence. ;)

fairly new to the sport myself i find it depends on if im by myself or not when im by myself il practice sections i feel comfy with and practice moving front rear wheel pivot turns n so on but when im riding with a few people i find we push each other to attempt bigger and harder sections. the place i practice is pretty issolated and cant get decent reception so guess thats a factor in taking it easy by myself . also made some flags up recently to lay out some sections and practice till can clear them.

1st ever trial in 2 weeks ;) looking forward to it

Started off with everything I like and what was within my comfort zone. Key thing is to never practice alone, especially if you are pushing yourself! Then watched other riders on the practice ground for ideas of sections.

Tend to mark out a section and similar to people above, practice it until regularly clean and then modify it, try a new route, gear, technique, line etc

My son had his first ever trial last month and after 8 sections put the bike back on the trailer. The key mistake was that he practiced what he was comfortable with to a good standard but avoided what he was scarred of. As soon as he came across a couple of greasy cambers, he grabbed a handfull of front brake and lost the front end. Once he went to his first event he wanted to have a go at everything but after a couple of big offs he lost his confidence and realised he still had a few things to practice to get his skills to a level that he was happy with. Fortunately he approached it in a positive way, he enjoyed the experience of his first event and knew when to retire without completely losing his confidence, having a bad injury of getting into a state hwere he would not want to compete again.

We now know his weak areas and can spend some time on the practice ground focusing on these.....