Cleaning Plugs?

spokerider

If a plug becomes oil fouled, or fouled with sooty deposits, what is your preferred method of cleaning it, or, do you just discard it and buy another?

Realistically, a fouled plug should be able to be cleaned and be " good as new" provided the electrode is not worn.......

Soak in solvent? Blast with sand blaster? Other?

Solvent and a brass brush - you do not want to scratch the smooth surface of a plug.

No sandpaper or sand blasting!..... Because a couple of grains that could drop out of a newly cleaned plug could easily scratch the bore.

When I was a poor teenager I'd bead blast them at the machine shop I worked at. Seriously though given the cost of everything else on a trials bike the plugs are the cheapest thing on the bike. Easiest to just buy new.

Yes, it probably IS easier to just buy new, but, I really do not like discarding things that are perfectly good, with the *cost factor* being a secondary reason. Just my humble nature I suppose........

Yup, I use solvent to soak the tip in and wire brush followed by compressed air.

Had a Suzuki Er trail bike which ,after just a few of days of inactivity,would 'demand' a brand new plug to start it.

No amount of plug cleaning (solvent,brass brush or even autoclave) could coax it into firing up.

I even tried to fool it by putting a cleaned plug into a new cardboard box but it knew..it just knew?!! :rotfl:

I even tried to fool it by putting a cleaned plug into a new cardboard box but it knew..it just knew?!! :rotfl:

Bit like my wife, put dirty fingermarks on new bits, but doesnt fool her either.

Had a Suzuki Er trail bike which ,after just a few of days of inactivity,would 'demand' a brand new plug to start it.

No amount of plug cleaning (solvent,brass brush or even autoclave) could coax it into firing up.

My old TY is just the opposite. I have tried 2 new plugs but both oiled up so i have just went back to the old plug which is years old. Runs sweet.