Sherco Front Fork Springs

beta rider

I have a 250 Sherco and I'm looking to change the front fork spring to a slightly stronger one.

I'm happy enough with the compression damping but I'm looking for a slightly stronger spring to set the front fork sag to the correct level. I'm 13 St and cannot set the sag to the recommended level (1/6th of the full travel with me on the bike) even with the pre-load adjuster screwed right down.

I'm using 5 wt fork oil and thought about going up to 7.5 wt, however this will presumably just make the fork compression and rebound slightly firmer but do nothing for the sag level. I've also considered making my own pre-load spacer for inside the fork tube out of some strong upvc piping or something similar to compress and strengthen the spring which should get the sag to the correct level.

However I'm then overly compressing the spring which reduces the static sag to less than the recommended level (about 10mm).

Looking through internet sites, there is a multitude of aftermarket fork springs available to suit almost any size. The Sherco fork spring is linear (i.e the coils are evenly spaced) but I've also seen variable rate springs, where the damping becomes progressively firmer at the end of the forks compression which seems to make more sense.

I would rather order and fit the spring myself than send the whole fork off to a suspension tuner to keep the cost down.

Anyway, my question is does anyone know the spring rate (Nm) of a standard Sherco fork spring or even a normal trials spring. It would be a handy starting point to look for other spring options.

Thanks in advance.

You should not need to change springs at your weight.

1/6 the travel would be about right for static sag with no rider. With rider it would be closer to 1/3 or 80mm. On the later forks, most just run the preload flush with the cap.

No springs have ever been changed to my knowledge. Even with much heavier riders. 5wt oil is used by most.

:rotfl:

• 1 year later...

I'm 13 st and never had a problem with the standard spring, I used to have the pre load as soft as it would go.

before you do anything else fit a zip tie round the fork, not to tight just enough so that it will still slide when the fork seal cap comes into contact with it. Then go and ride some sections and see how much travel you actually using. Unless the forks are using full travel on a regular basis then the spring is prob ok.

before you do anything else fit a zip tie round the fork, not to tight just enough so that it will still slide when the fork seal cap comes into contact with it. Then go and ride some sections and see how much travel you actually using.

What a great idea :thumbup:

Best of Xmas balance.

Neo

• 3 weeks later...

hi, is there something to do to keep the forks from dropping down? when it comes to front wheel hopping the bike seems alot heaver than a gasgas with the forks fully extended unlike the sherco which dropps down about an inch.

hi, is there something to do to keep the forks from dropping down? when it comes to front wheel hopping the bike seems alot heaver than a gasgas with the forks fully extended unlike the sherco which dropps down about an inch.

Are you sure your folk spring's not broken?

Best of balance.

Neo

my son is expert status up here in scotland and is around 16 stone.been riding trials since 4 year old .rode every bike hes had in std settings and never had a problem ,done ssdt,s and british champ,s on sherco,s.the only time he adjusted suspension was when he does moto cross.

what makes you think its broken?
I ran 2.5wt oil in two bikes for quite sometime .... end result was 2 broken springs after a number of friend (heavier riders) rode on my bikes. :blush:

Apart from my double experience I don't believe this is a common problem though.

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

my son is expert status up here in scotland and is around 16 stone.been riding trials since 4 year old .rode every bike hes had in std settings and never had a problem ,done ssdt,s and british champ,s on sherco,s.the only time he adjusted suspension was when he does moto cross.

So which one would he be? :rolleyes:

cant understand why the forks are made to drop down with only the bike's weight

I've been thinking about this and I'm with you Jamez on that point....Anyone got an explanation as to why we need to lose that suspension travel solely on the weight of the bike???

Best of balance.

Neo