Who Needs A Pay Rise Anyway

andy.t

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, thanks for your words of wisdom,yes I could just sit back and accept what ever is thrown at me, I'm sure several employers would just love us all to be working on the bread line, which is exactly what will happen if thats what the workforce of Great Britain does. Everything has and always will continue to have to be fought for, so just to accept something when times are hard is just a defeatists attitude in my opinion.

You don't seem to have that threat hanging over you so you should be thankful you're not in the position of uncertainty so many of us have been put in, through no fault of our own, and quit p***ing and moaning.

Andy, thanks for your words of wisdom,yes I could just sit back and accept what ever is thrown at me, I'm sure several employers would just love us all to be working on the bread line, which is exactly what will happen if thats what the workforce of Great Britain does. Everything has and always will continue to have to be fought for, so just to accept something when times are hard is just a defeatists attitude in my opinion.

Right now, we don't have a choice. You don't seem to be threatened with loss of job. You're just pee'd off you're not getting a pay rise. IF (and it's a big IF) I still have a job come Thursday and they say there is no money for pay rises this year then I'll be happy as I will still have a job. Yes, I could find something else pretty easily, but I'm happy where I am and doing what I do.

What do you bring to the table, what value do you add to your employer and what makes you think you are deserving of a pay rise? If you just expect one every year then methinks you are going to be sadly disappointed.

No pay rise this year but I am not going to go and complain. My last day was due to be today, but I've been lucky enough to be transfered to work with the project's design team and so my stay of execution extended to Sep 09 and then to be reviewed.

If you can survive this year then you are doing well.

Whine all you want, I made the same last year as in 1996!

One thing good about it, if folks don't buy new cars thy need to fix the older ones!

Costs are up though, unless you want electronics!

Funny to me that all our soo called experts were in the dark untill everything crashed!

Being poor to begin with, my stocks are doing fine! Wot stocks? :thumbup:

Must be a pleasure working for you, your a rare commodity.

Must be a pleasure as we have virtually 0% staff turnover and its been like that for years.

My comment above was drilled into me by my father. He always said if you work hard for a good boss, you will be appreciated. I have always found that. Never asked for a pay rise ever and done ok. I accept thats not always the case but just gave a view on my experience.

Must be a pleasure as we have virtually 0% staff turnover and its been like that for years.

My comment above was drilled into me by my father. He always said if you work hard for a good boss, you will be appreciated. I have always found that. Never asked for a pay rise ever and done ok. I accept thats not always the case but just gave a view on my experience.

Sadly there are few like you (in my experience) Most of my pay rises working for a national company, came with promotions. Often promoted away from what I was good at !

Bonus were another incentive that month on month got harder and harder to achieve. Eventually I devised away to hold figures back so this wasn't such a problem, till I got caught.

Strangly enought, my director just laughed and told me not to do it again.

I think i would like to come and work for your company,you obviously look after your staff and they feel secure enough to stay with you.

Problem for many companies out there,they've looked at short term greed,took on all the work going probaly for next to nothing but thought there make there money on bulk order's,took on aload of new staff,as your aware those bulk order's are now shrinking.

Sound's like your company will get through the other end ok without any job losses.

Edited by bilc0

I think i would like to come and work for your company,you obviously look after your staff and they feel secure enough to stay with you.

Problem for many companies out there,they've looked at short term greed,took on all the work going probaly for next to nothing but thought there make there money on bulk order's,took on aload of new staff,as your aware those bulk order's are now shrinking.

Sound's like your company will get through the other end ok without any job losses.

I do hope so - It is the toughest I have ever seen it but I know of business friends who are much worse off. :dunce:

Just keeping it going is all you can ask for at this time. Anyone making any money is doing well.

Working for the government I guess I'm lucky in many respects, safe guards over employment, good redundancy package if it came to that but I'd much rather be working. For all the complaints around the country about well off civil servants, don't believe that for a minute, if i didn't work shifts/weekends/shed loads of overtime my basic salary is crap, probably a hell of a lot less than many think. I haven't had a consolidated pay rise in 8 years now and ultimately demoted twice in the same period, management call it a regrading exercise but it's just a simple way of reducing the overall paybill. In my case, I'm fairly happy with my lot, I live somewhere I adore, we have just about enough to get by and I'll view the fairly good job security as a bonus for now, can't complain too much.

Some people are in industries and occupations that make things difficult no matter how hard they try and I have every sympathy for them but that doesn't cover everyone.

The way things stand we should be happy if we still have a job to go to. If you have a job bite the bullet, stop whining and stick it out because things will get better eventually. If you don't like your boss then work harder, get a new boss or become the boss yourself, you can't change things to your benefit if you sit on your a*** whining about it all the time.

Edited by Slapshot 3

Working for the government I guess I'm lucky in many respects, safe guards over employment, good redundancy package if it came to that but I'd much rather be working. For all the complaints around the country about well off civil servants, don't believe that for a minute, if i didn't work shifts/weekends/shed loads of overtime my basic salary is crap, probably a hell of a lot less than many think. I haven't had a consolidated pay rise in 8 years now and ultimately demoted twice in the same period, management call it a regrading exercise but it's just a simple way of reducing the overall paybill. In my case, I'm fairly happy with my lot, I live somewhere I adore, we have just about enough to get by and I'll view the fairly good job security as a bonus for now, can't complain too much.

Some people are in industries and occupations that make things difficult no matter how hard they try and I have every sympathy for them but that doesn't cover everyone.

The way things stand we should be happy if we still have a job to go to. If you have a job bite the bullet, stop whining and stick it out because things will get better eventually. If you don't like your boss then work harder, get a new boss or become the boss yourself, you can't change things to your benefit if you sit on your a*** whining about it all the time.

You been on the Iron Bru again ?

The company that I work for had it's best year ever last year. I got a great bonus. Plenty enough to buy a new trials bike. At the same time they gave out the bonus they mentioned that there would be no pay raises in 2009. I would love to buy a new bike but I am afraid that I may not have a job after October. I have put the money in the bank and will wait until next year to see if I can still afford a new bike. The 03 scorpa will get new tires and a few new bits and pieces. A new Gas Gas or Beta will just have to wait. I hope these companies are still in business when I can afford a new bike.

Best luck to all.

Cheers

DFW

Working for the government I guess I'm lucky in many respects,

Am i right in thinking you work for the Met office i might be wrong.

Anyway towards the end of last year someone was telling me down here in Exeter that maybe the Met office will be sold off,don't know how much of it.but it would be bad new's if you get a private company inside there.

Slapsot 3, I guess you must be referring to me with regards the whining and moaning. I don't just do it behind my managers back,he knows exactly how I feel, if you say nothing then your employers will just think that you are happy with what they have done and continue to force things upon you because they think you don't care (think like the French people is what I say) and you are wrong about saying nothing as its proven that a good whine and moan gets results, just ask any man who is married!!!

you can't change things to your benefit if you sit on your a*** whining about it all the time

so just to accept something when times are hard is just a defeatists attitude in my opinion.

No I agree, I suggest you get out there and start your own company - Put up your house as guarantee - Work 14 hours/day 7 days a week to get the company started. (You wont earn a wage of course, that will come later - maybe year 3) and after 5 years you may be doing ok and be able to employ a few people and be a manager yourself. All good fun - Give it a try :dunce: