Water Pump Help

trial_master

Ditto,I'd be surprised if the shaft is bent though...you seem to have things squared up in your mind so theres nothing stopping you now....watch for that thin washer (No.1 in your photo) when you put the side-case assy back on(at that time you will be watching the dowels and the gasket line up) 'cos if you mis-lay it and it drops into the transmission, then run it!!! :thumbup::lol::marky: .....You won't drop it, I have every faith in you.

Thanks for the help

I have now got all the parts

gasket

2 seals

shaft

Impeller

I will probably come across as a complete retard now, but I do not want to get this part wrong. Here goes anyway,

The seals..... from all of your help so far i believe that they go together flat end to flat end. To me that does not look/feel right. It looks as though the open ends should be together (I know they will not actually be touching once fitted to the bike). By open end i mean the side where you can see the spring clip.

Could someone put me in my place please???

Cheers

Flat to flat makes sense, as you see the spring side goes toward the material you are sealing in, which on one side is the coolant and the gear box lube on the other.

The lip on the flat side is mostly a dirt shield and not the primary sealing surface.

I think a light coating of some type of grease would be good to give, as you don't want to run the seals totally dry.

Also grease used to retain that inner thrust washer during assembly so it does not fall. :thumbup:

Thanks for the help

The seals..... from all of your help so far i believe that they go together flat end to flat end. To me that does not look/feel right. It looks as though the open ends should be together (I know they will not actually be touching once fitted to the bike). By open end i mean the side where you can see the spring clip.

Cheers

This is exactly what I was warning you about ( :thumbup: I got it wrong first time) but like Cope says you should be able to see the garter springs when you have assembled the seals.Don't get cold feet now! :lol:

DONE!!!!

But i dont want to get too excited just yet. I put it all together (good tip with the grease- the washer did not budge :dunce: ) and started her up. Left the bike ticking over for no more than 2 minutes and no coolant came from the 'weep hole'. So thats a good start!

I will get the bike out this weekend for a couple of hours, then back home for an oil change. I will be sure to update you then.

Any of you guys go to 'Bumpy' near Leeds?

Thank you all for the help and fast replys!!! :D:thumbup::thumbup:

DONE!!!!

But i dont want to get too excited just yet. I put it all together (good tip with the grease- the washer did not budge :dunce: ) and started her up. Left the bike ticking over for no more than 2 minutes and no coolant came from the 'weep hole'. So thats a good start!

I will get the bike out this weekend for a couple of hours, then back home for an oil change. I will be sure to update you then.

Any of you guys go to 'Bumpy' near Leeds?

Thank you all for the help and fast replys!!! :D:thumbup::thumbup:

Bumpy? Sure, just around the corner!!!!!!!! :huh:

Might be a little far for you :dunce:

I have been out on the bike today for 2-3 hours, then done an oil change when i got home. The oil is a dark grey colour. Does not look to have any water in it as the colour is nearer black then white. I have left the old oil in a jug in the garage, i will let it settle over night and see if there is any water on the top of the oil.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I have been advised to drain the oil after me next ride (hopefully in the morning) then if it still looks dark, put 200ml of oil mixed with 100ml of petrol into the gear box. Run the bike for no more than a minute then drain and fill up with gearbox oil.

The added petrol is suposed to clean the gearbox out. Anyone else heard of this method?

:dunce: I have heard of the petrol trick,I think it was on Jackass a few weeks ago, the one where they had to call the Fire Brigade...... :D don't do it. :thumbup:

Back to the oil..what colour is it before you put it in the gearbox?..it will look a little paler after you've run it as the oil gets aerated in there.

Back to your jug;If you let it settle, the water (if any) will sink to the bottom, making it very difficult to spot.

I have recently seen a trials bike where there is water ingress to the transmission oil and the result did not resemble clear coolant, did not resemble aerated transmission oil .....it looked like the milkiest milk you ever seen .....there's no mistaking it when it emulsifies in there.

I have been using PJ1 oil. It is a clear goldy colour whan fresh

The image below shows after no more than 3 hours riding in one day. In total the oil was in the bike 2 days

Near the center of the bowl you can see a drop of fresh oil that i put in to compare the colours

ABCD0011-1.jpg

It was a guy in a well known bike shop that advised the oil and petrol mixture, is this realy a bad idea? I thought that it would be safe in the gearbox

That oil looks OK. IS the cooling system still full? That's the best way to tell for minor loss. Keep in mind that with no expansion bottle the coolant will sit a few mm down the filler neck when cold to allow for expansion when hot. Regarding the petrol thing, the petrol is not the problem, its the vapour left behind - think hand grenade when hot... Like I said, that oil looks OK. It will be like cream if there is water or "Silver Flecks" if there is metal.

HTH

Cheers,

Stork

That oil does seem ok from he photo as others have mentioned.

What can I say?..I use ATF 'cos I struggle to locate anything else locally,when it goes in it looks like Ribena,when it comes out it looks like fizzy Ribena???

Why don't you try the Ribena challenge,as a flush it's safer than petrol !

• 1 month later...

Hi Trial_Master,

I'm about to start same job on my lads 125 (jusy wrestling with rear brake issues).

I found your story really useful ;)

Hope you don't mind me asking, where did you get the parts from and how much for each item?

(and I normally put PJ1 Ultra Light in)

Oh, and we ride at Bumpy ;)

Have you joined the club to join in the trials competitions (next one is 30th May)