2006 Pro Magneto Cover Letting Water In.

rmxboy

Hello all. Went out for my first real ride on a new to me 06 300pro. The ride was in a dry dusty paddock with a small creek splash to get across. 4 inches deep at the most. After I washed the bike I took the magneto cover off to have a look in there. While i was getting the cover off a small puddle was forming on the floor from inside the cover. The water is clean and I can only guess that its from the wash down after the ride. I had the cover off last week and was a bit damp but not this wet. the bike was washed with a hand hose and brush not a water blaster. Any ideas where to start waterproffing it. The flywheel is showing signs of being damp in the past. ( rusty etc) It looks like the water may be going straight down through the wires coming out of the case. I need to get a flywheel holder and puller and I will pull it off and have a good look behind it to see how wet it has been. Thanks for your time.

You need to drill a small 3mm hole in the bottom to let any water out. If you seal the cover it'll just make any condensation worse. Its a good idea to look inside from time to time and spray everything with WD40 so corrosion is kept at bay.

Seal the gasket area with Silicone compound and the same with the area round the cable entry. Make sure its all very clean first. This should keep water out. Then drill a 5 or 6mm hole in the bottom of the cover to let anything that gets in out again. I know this sound mad but its a GG UK recommendation for the SSDT and I've had it on my last two bikes. Never had a problem with water in there or if I did it all ran out again.

It does sound quite mad that... drilling a hole in the cover! If GGUK say its a good idea then why not! I suppose if the bike went over in a deep pool it would take water in throught the hole whereas a well sealed cover wouldnt let any water in.

Many people swear by drilling a small hole in the bottom of their airbox too.

Hello all. Went out for my first real ride on a new to me 06 300pro. The ride was in a dry dusty paddock with a small creek splash to get across. 4 inches deep at the most. After I washed the bike I took the magneto cover off to have a look in there. While i was getting the cover off a small puddle was forming on the floor from inside the cover. The water is clean and I can only guess that its from the wash down after the ride. I had the cover off last week and was a bit damp but not this wet. the bike was washed with a hand hose and brush not a water blaster. Any ideas where to start waterproffing it. The flywheel is showing signs of being damp in the past. ( rusty etc) It looks like the water may be going straight down through the wires coming out of the case. I need to get a flywheel holder and puller and I will pull it off and have a good look behind it to see how wet it has been. Thanks for your time.

Since the early 70's on my Bultacos and MARs, I've vented all the sidecases on my bikes and have had no problems. As the sidecase is a somewhat "sealed" container of gas (air in this case), when it is rapidly cooled (like in a stream) a vacuum is created and it will suck in water. Venting it to the atmosphere with a line run up under the fueltank prevents this from happening. This is especially important in this case as my 02' 280 Pro has non-anodized Magnesium cases and the venting keeps the flywheel area clean and dry.

Jon

For us less able types... would you recommend drilling a small hole at the bottom of the flywheel case? Also, what do you think of a small hole in the bottom of the airbox???

That should also work, but keep in mind that the hole will also act the same as a non-sealing gasket area and ingest water when the case is cooled rapidly. The 3mm size will help to reduce the intake of water/grit but you'll still have to take the cover off now and then, pull the flywheel and clean the stator area (and spray it with a water dispersant).

Small holes at the bottom of the airbox will work to reduce water there, but you have to balance the size of the hole, big enough to let water out and not clog with mud, and not too big to also let water/grit in. The biggest problem I see with the Pro is splash from the front tire up over the engine and into the front intake of the airbox. The aftermarket guards that go between the bottom of the radiator and the sump guard really help (or you can make your own).

Jon

Edited by JSE

Thanks guys. These sound like a good solution to the problem. Jon , is that breather just a generic type avaliable at any auto part store or something specific. ? Regards

For my older bikes, I used a cut down Schrader valve (threaded part machined down, case threaded and valve screwed in), but the clearance between the outer part of the flywheel and the inner part of the cover on the Pro is small. If you go to an aquarium supply place (which is where this fitting is from), I bet you can find a fitting that would work. Superglue or epoxy will hold it to the cover, just be sure that the inner part does not hit the flywheel. As you can see, the right angle of the fitting where the hose goes keeps the vent hose out of the way of snags.

Jon