Import Duty To Uk.

montaco

I realise this isn't strictly bike related so apologies in advance.

I can buy a small hydraulic pump (to build a logsplitter) from Nebraska at about a third of the price for the same item in Glasgow, Scotland. Shipping from Nebraska is $36 but I wonder if there will be any import duty or taxes on this, other than VAT.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?.

Get them to put on the package "warranty replacement parts".

Its luck of the draw if you get a customs bill

Get the supplier to selotape a card to the outside of the box saying that it is a gift, Happy Honecker,Birthday,Fathersday...or whatever..you get me? :thumbup:

It works for me...so far.

Thanks again guys. Having done the arithmetic, even if you're only approximately right there is a big saving to be made.

Perce, I'll have a nice clean young sheep and a pair of wellies waiting for you in the shed when you pass this way at the Scottish.

Thanks again guys. Having done the arithmetic, even if you're only approximately right there is a big saving to be made.

Perce, I'll have a nice clean young sheep and a pair of wellies waiting for you in the shed when you pass this way at the Scottish.

:thumbup: the only person i've ever heard of getting intimate with a sheep was english!!!!!!

The rate of duty you pay is subject to the item and a category to which it falls.......and the guy on the day that decides where it falls. These categories are numerous and some are very similar.

I bought some video goggles the other day from the USA and got them shipped over here. I got stung for something like 14% duty.....however, I wrote them back and told them they had made a mistake in catgorizing my goggles. I found another category at only 2.5% that mentioned the words "video screen, plastic housing"..........

Job done.

Ian.

Go ahead buy from the US.

Problem is it was probably manufactured in (insert other country of choice here) and imported to US to sell to US customers, but because you are in UK that US company will just have it shipped from (above mentioned company) right to your door!! Saves on the extra shipping and US company makes more profit off the item.

US don't manufacture much anymore, I don't think we have much if any items that are manufactured from the ground up anymore. Lots of things are "assembled" in the US.

I apologize for being in a rotten mood. I really need to lighten up.

Just be law abiding citizens and pay the Import Duty.

Alternatively support the UK Economy and buy British and not from the US.

Ripoff Britain = NO CHANCE!..............Anyways, nobody in the UK stocks them. And not only that, the company that makes them (www.headplay.com) won't ship to UK.......I had to get a pal in Houston to buy them for me then ship to me.

It confuses me that in these hard times companies aren't doing enough to get their products out to the masses. In this case it was a stupid reason......the company was actually willing to export to me but their ecommerce software (their online shop) wouldn't let me enter a UK delivery address despite them saying by email they would. So, the headline is "IT problem loses sales for company"...................NUTS!

Ian.