Txt Boy 50 Clutch Conversion

motomax

Does anyone have any experience with the auto clutch on the Boy 50? I just purchased a new one and it has an auto clutch with a manual hydraulic override. Not sure how the override works. It does not seem to disengage when the clutch is locked up and the bike is moving.

I would prefer to convert it to a full manual clutch if possible and eliminate the auto clutch feature. Anyone know if this can be done and whats involved? I have converted the gearing to a 60T rear sprocket and sorted the jetting but the auto clutch makes for a slow response which is compensated by cranking the throttle and launching the bike.

Its much better than the Beta 50 he had before the Gasser but a manual clutch would be the hot setup with this bike. My son already knows how to use a clutch and he even comments on preferring faster throttle response.

Another question is gear oil capacity, the manual says 450cc but it puked out quite a bit when I put in that amount! My 250 Pro doesn't even use 450cc!

Its a great little bike but I'm having trouble finding anyone who knows anything about these bikes, any help would be appreciated. If you know of a dealer who has experience with these, a name and number would be a great help as well.

First of all and more important than anything.... The engine should have only 150cc of oil and not 450cc as stated in the book.

Secondly the bike will generally ease up as it gets used over time. You have geared it down with the 60T sprocket as I have done for my sons bike. This made a big difference. You can also fit a thicker clutch plate so that the bike engages and moves forward at lower revs. Instead of having to rev the thing up and it taking off like a rocket!!!

I have heared of some converting the bike to a manual, but dont know how the revvy little engine will cope with that!

I think that the GasGas Boy should have a manual clutch and should do away with this scooter business that doesnt suit the bike or trials in general!!! RANT OVER

Thanks for the info. Every bit helps.

I hope I did not damage the engine by running 450cc of oil. The manual is worthless and even misleading, Gas Gas should do better.

I'll try the clutch plate conversion and see if this helps. I would still prefer a fully functional clutch, he uses one already on his KX65 for harescrambles. Hopefully someone will post some info on how to facilitate this.

agreed on the points regarding the oil, go by the level sight glass.

Search on my previous posts for further info regarding overfilling the oil!

Regarding the over ride clutch, you need to give it some revs and operate the lever as the plates will stick - do this a few times to free it up and normally works. Most manual bikes clutches stick as well at first startup, well mine does anyway!

The design does not lend itself to manual conversion, without considerable redesign work and is not worth it. There are rumours on the net about adding an extract plate etc but having stripped and over hauled my lads when he had it, I cant see how this can be achieved. Adding the extra plate will simply mean the clutch is engaged all the time, but with no means of dis-engaging.

They are great bikes to learn on and excellent design and build quality and my lad spent a year on one before moving on up to a geared 50.