Starting My 09 3.2 4t

wayne thais

I have had my 09 4t for several weeks but because we moved to a new house I have not been able to ride it other than around the neighborhood. Starting has been an issue and I think that I have it figured out, this particular motor wants some throttle. If it does not start hot in two or three kicks, I open the throttle about 1/8 of a turn and it fires right up. Even cold if it does not start in 3 or 4 kicks with the choke on I take the choke off and give it the 1/8 throttle and it starts right up. My 08 was entirely different from this. I have the carb float set at around 20mm and the air screw at 1/2 turn out. Bike runs great after it starts, hopefully I will be able to take it to the club next week.

Wayne

I know what you mean Wayne my evo 4-t has been sitting in the garage for over a couple of weeks and it took me a good easy two pushes thru before it started, I almost gave up on it.

Hope you have better luck than me !!

My 09 3.2T generally starts easily if I choke it and then it takes about 3 kick before it will "pop" once, then I remove the choke and then the bike will start on the next kick. You then just have to let the bike idle for a minute while you put your helmet on before adding any throttle. Only once did I flood it.....and it took lots of kicking with the choke off and the throttle open to get it started. After the bike has been ridden and is still warm it starts easily without the choke.

I know what you mean Wayne my evo 4-t has been sitting in the garage for over a couple of weeks and it took me a good easy two pushes

Seconded.

Don't let anyone tell you a 4T is hard to start. Once you 'have the knack' it really is that easy. Nice steady push through (rather than a jab) is all it takes.

Have fun Wayne ! Lots of work but worth it, you've seen mine.

Has anyone looked at putting a hot start on the sherco ? I know they start fine when they are warm but I think it would be handy for when it didn't start and was flooded to allow air in without opening the throttle. Or better yet maybe some day the factory will take of the carb off and install fuel injection like the enduro bike.

Have fun Wayne ! Lots of work but worth it, you've seen mine.

Has anyone looked at putting a hot start on the sherco ? I know they start fine when they are warm but I think it would be handy for when it didn't start and was flooded to allow air in without opening the throttle. Or better yet maybe some day the factory will take of the carb off and install fuel injection like the enduro bike.

If they ran like a Montesa that you cannot chug down without stalling, I would not like either the Sherco or Beta it seems. The FI just seems to

take away from the real four stroke feel. :D

Has anyone looked at putting a hot start on the sherco ?

The '07 had a hot start. I broke the fitting at the carb while pulling the carb out and I just plugged the hole and never worried about it sine the bike always started well.

My '09 started a little funny sometimes when cold. Sometimes wanted the choke, sometimes didn't want it. Air temp didn't matter. Never started while using throttle. It ALWAYS started first or second kick when hot :D I had mine upside down twice, once it started first kick and the other time I had to hold it wide open for a few kicks, kind of like happens to a 2t :D

Edited by sirhc

Seconded.

Don't let anyone tell you a 4T is hard to start. Once you 'have the knack' it really is that easy. Nice steady push through (rather than a jab) is all it takes.

A 4T IS HARD TO START ,Fact some have it sorted eg honda some havn't eg sherco , I cant belive after all the problems when the bike came out it is still an issue.

The sherco 4t nearly stopped me trialing for ever, if it hadnt been for an understanding wife lending me 4k for a bike that worked it would have been it,

I will never have a sherco again :D

Just received my 3.2 about two weeks ago. Have about 5 hours on her. The bike is awesome! Usually starts cold within 3 kicks, actually easier than my 2t bikes did. When warm she pops right off. The bike can be harder to start after its been stalled though, sometimes as many as 10 kicks. I think I have it figured out now, I didn

Just received my 3.2 about two weeks ago. Have about 5 hours on her. The bike is awesome! Usually starts cold within 3 kicks, actually easier than my 2t bikes did. When warm she pops right off. The bike can be harder to start after its been stalled though, sometimes as many as 10 kicks. I think I have it figured out now, I didn

having considered and ridden a fair few 4t before settling on a 2t, i believe the beta 4t is a grest starter even when you lob it pick it up and away you go ( all the bikes i rode though had been modded on the jetting from std.

at the end of the day though the 2t won as there are hundreds of other bikes the same out there anyone can fix em. the 4t are losing thier money faster a 2t

if 4t were better the demand for tham would keep the price up and every body would be riding them at trials and yet i see only about 5% of bikes are 4t

hey,

not so sure 2t starts beter than a 4t

a gasgas is not so easy to start its a trick just like the 4t needs a special way of starting.

best starting bike must be my honda tlr starts first kick hot or cold never a problem

my sherco 4t starts good to just needs a slow and determind kick and a bit of throttle

i do not understand the problem most people have with starting a 4 stroke,

if the bike is set up ok it starts if it doesn't start you do something wrong or there is a problem with the bike

the first sherco 4t was a bad starter but that is solved now, from 2007 on they should start ok if the carb set up is good

(float height and float needle should be checked it the bike starts badly)

regards bob

If you want a 4t that starts the montesa/honda is the one, never fails.

my friends 4t beta seems good but has thrown the odd wobbler .

Its got to be time for electric start on 4ts .

As for 2ts holding there money better i dont think so not in england anyway