Long Wheelies

This year I want to attempt a 10 mile wheelie on my Pro 300 but I have some concerns...

I have done a 3.6mile wheelie before which ended when I ran out of road but even at this point I was starting to get pain in my hands but I think this can be sorted with a pair of proper road gloves and some pre-wheelie hand-care.

The main worry is the engine, with bigger bikes (usually 4-strokes) the engine can be damaged due to being starved of oil because all the oil rushes to the back of the gearbox, would this be the case with a trials bike on such a long wheelie? Im not worried about the rev's as Ill be doing it in 5th and 6th gear using fairly low revs.

All the best

Tom

Fair enough to you! I find that 2 strokes don't mind the oil falling back, but as a safety precaution, i would slightly overfill you gearbox to compensate for this, then remove the excess when you are done. You have got to get a video of this, i know there is one on youtube of a quad wheelieing for 10 minutes! He had to stop cos he got to a red light.

..........should you really be doing this on what I presume is a public highway? 3.6miles....10 miles who cares??????

nope, the 3.6 miles was done on a friends track on his farm, I have to slow down to turn around and come back. To make the 10 miles easier I know a guy who has access to a disused airfield. and as for "whats the point in this?", whats the point in anything? why do you ride up hills and over rocks? seems just as pointless as doing a 10 mile wheelie, I enjoy all aspects of motorcycling, a long wheelie requires concentration, simultanious throttle, clutch and rear brake control aswell as balance. All these things are essential In trials so why not try to push my limits in them?

Thanks to Bowerz for the constructive comment. to those who were rude, forget I posted anything.

And if Mark is reading this, chances are he is laughing his head off.....

Tom

whats the point in anything? why do you ride up hills and over rocks? seems just as pointless as doing a 10 mile wheelie, I enjoy all aspects of motorcycling, a long wheelie requires concentration, simultanious throttle, clutch and rear brake control aswell as balance. All these things are essential In trials so why not try to push my limits in them?

:D Good job people try new things or we'd never make any progress. Good luck mate, don't overdo the coffee beforehand though :D

:D Good job people try new things or we'd never make any progress. Good luck mate, don't overdo the coffee beforehand though :D

Cheers Billy, dont drink coffee though mate, that stuff can seriously mess with your body. My mate had some right problems, all dissappeared when he stopped drinking coffee though!

Tom

nope, the 3.6 miles was done on a friends track on his farm, I have to slow down to turn around and come back. To make the 10 miles easier I know a guy who has access to a disused airfield. and as for "whats the point in this?", whats the point in anything? why do you ride up hills and over rocks? seems just as pointless as doing a 10 mile wheelie, I enjoy all aspects of motorcycling, a long wheelie requires concentration, simultanious throttle, clutch and rear brake control aswell as balance. All these things are essential In trials so why not try to push my limits in them?

Thanks to Bowerz for the constructive comment. to those who were rude, forget I posted anything.

And if Mark is reading this, chances are he is laughing his head off.....

Tom

Not sure which Mark, but I am! Nutter!

It seems ironic to me now, but there was actually a point in time that I could probably do this. Back in the 80's there was a period where I would use a borrowed TL125 honda to go watch the MX races when I was out a bike! Well , the power and engine braking were soo perfect I could go on forever it seemed, up, down over bumps and such, round the 20 or so acers of parking lot, no prob! Little blingers off the trees too!

Today, I cannot muster a sit down, on a new bike! All just very frustrating! Too jerky, need brake and such! Good luck! :blink:

Brilliant. Do it. Hell do it on the road if you need to. There is no point to it but having fun!

I used to hold a brillint wheelie on a TLR many moons ago. So now i'm off to practice. Thanks for the inspration.

Oh... and i don't think any mods would be necessary.

Not sure which Mark, but I am! Nutter!

It seems ironic to me now, but there was actually a point in time that I could probably do this. Back in the 80's there was a period where I would use a borrowed TL125 honda to go watch the MX races when I was out a bike! Well , the power and engine braking were soo perfect I could go on forever it seemed, up, down over bumps and such, round the 20 or so acers of parking lot, no prob! Little blingers off the trees too!

Today, I cannot muster a sit down, on a new bike! All just very frustrating! Too jerky, need brake and such! Good luck! :blink:

Nice one, sounds like a wicked bike to wheelie. back in the 80's it would have cost you a fortune to film a 10 mile wheelie! I love it when the wheelie just go's where you want it to. Nice to hold it in 3rd then tap the front into a rock and up you go! or hit it wrong and end up on your a*** hehe.

at the end of the day, wheelies are a base skill for most trials.

Ralphy, The long wheelies I do are off road but im not saying I dont wheelie on the road, alot of people would call me an irresponsible rider, and they would be right! the only reason I dont do long ones on the road is because im bound to come across someone and I find it quite embarrassing because I know they are all thinking "what an idiot!"

but at the end of the day, I dont drink (never touched a drop of alcohol in my life), dont smoke, and dont do drugs, I just eat too much crap, ride bikes too fast and do too many wheelies and stoppies. Everyone has their vices eh?

All the best

Tom

Nice one, sounds like a wicked bike to wheelie. back in the 80's it would have cost you a fortune to film a 10 mile wheelie! I love it when the wheelie just go's where you want it to. Nice to hold it in 3rd then tap the front into a rock and up you go! or hit it wrong and end up on your a*** hehe.

at the end of the day, wheelies are a base skill for most trials.

Ralphy, The long wheelies I do are off road but im not saying I dont wheelie on the road, alot of people would call me an irresponsible rider, and they would be right! the only reason I dont do long ones on the road is because im bound to come across someone and I find it quite embarrassing because I know they are all thinking "what an idiot!"

but at the end of the day, I dont drink (never touched a drop of alcohol in my life), dont smoke, and dont do drugs, I just eat too much crap, ride bikes too fast and do too many wheelies and stoppies. Everyone has their vices eh?

All the best

Tom

It's the MX bikes that got me a couple broke tail bones and some crammed disc's in the lower back, I still pay for those! The Beer helps! :blink: