Dusty 1958? Crusader 250 Trials Pics

jumbostu

Hi

I have a trials crusader ive restored it a bit but still has steel rims and i put an ally tank on it , the std one is under the bench .

looking at your photos and questions on the crusader , as the other lads have pointed out the front end on yours should have the enfield forks with the leading axle , the alloy top yolk with the speedo hole , and a full width alloy hub ( i think some works ones had a half width alloy hub .)

Also yours has had a common mod to the rear frame tube above the back mudguard , the original had a big ridiculous hoop with additional bracing over the mudguard . Ive got a picture of mine but couldnt paste it into this reply, so if you can advise i'll get you some photos.

I was up at the pre-65 at the weekend and there was a healthy turnout of crusaders , more than most years , Peter Gaunt sold his for a rumoured 10k to a spanish lad , but that bike would have cost that in manhours alone , it was very special. but probably less original than yours or mine!!

cheers

greg

Hi Guy's.

Hi Jumbo.

Sorry I had not got back before but other things going on +the Scottish pre 65.

Well looking at the bike it is as the last guy said but the front end looks a lot like an old Ariel set up. You need to find a front end from a proper trials crusader, or forks from a 350 I think are much the same and with the damping. Type in www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com and take a look at all the nesasary bits ,they may well have forks. As said you have a good starting point for an intresting project, when done and sorted it will be worth what I said in the first place .Or just ride the thing and enjoy. Ps. the first thing I would do after the forks is to sorce a PVL type ignition and fit, makes the rest worth doing then because it will start and run propaly. I will fire some pictures of ours on as soon as I have re asembled it now the frame as been Powder coated the same colour as the one sold for 10 K.

Regard's Charlie.

PPs Whats Peters new project then. He must have one.

Guys

I didnt find out what his latest project is i only spoke to Niel for a second before he started ,

As for the crusaders , i was planning to trial mine but as the bike is std and in pretty good nick i dont want to change too much a just make another bitsa .

looking at peter gaunts bike he had changed the fork internals which required welding extensions on the stanchions , also the clutch must be different cos the casing was all modified to suit .I would guess hes done some thing to the gear selection as well cos that seems to be a crusader thing,

What should be done to make the crusader successful in todays pre-65 trials bearing in mind im in scotland and your ussually just lumped in with the rest of the bikes so the secions can be quite tricky(thats maybe just down to me though)

thanks

Greg

Hi Jumbostu

Have you had ashot of any of the other unit trials bikes to compare the weight of them to the crusader ?

looking at your pics with them forks on the bike seems a bit shorter than mine , like Charlie said if you get a set of damped forks it'll make a good pre 65 er .

I'm full of enthusiasm after the weekend at kinlochleven seeing all those crusaders up there was good, (the enthusiasm bit happens after ever pre65!) so i'm thinking ill get the wheel done with alloy rims and try and get the forks to work properly , like charlie said they are meant to be damped so they might be not too bad onece i get them sorted.

ive also got a tr6 that i'm building which has been an ongoing mission for ages so that needs a load of time thrown at it .

I'll post any things i find out about the crusader along the way and solutions if i get the gears set up right and forks sorted.

cheers

greg

Hi Guy's.

Hi Greg,

You can discard the inner linkage for the gears and modify the selector indicator shaft and cover to take a gear-lever. as Peter Gaunt did with his, I have done this to ours ,but have not tried it yet until it is back together,(within the month). So will let you know if it works. If you are thinking about altering gearing, you should keep an eye open for second hand Villiers 4 speed 8E gearboxes, because the gears from these can be used in the Enfield box. Also you can use the main-shaft which is splined for the clutch and with a mod gets over the weak Enfield problem, Hitchcocks fixed us up with a similar shaft for ours. I am still trying to modify a Yamaha clutch to fit. We also bought a alloy barrel casting from Hitchcocks that was rejected 20 years ago when Alan had some cast, it was bored slightly of center so we bored it out bigger and then machined a spun liner to fit it. Frame wise, I have repositioned the footrest to a better position altered the steering head, and fitted taper roller bearings, a better and lighter swinging arm pivot that now runs on Igus type plastic bearings. narrowed the sub frame slightly, and removed all unwanted brackets. It is now using Rickman hubs, the back with a cushdrive, forks are ceriani. and we are going to set it up with a Villiers S22 carb. ignition PVL. As I say i will post pictures when I have it back together.

Regard's Charlie.

Charlie

Sounds like once you get your beastie up and running its going to be pretty good , Ill have alook at the gear thing this weekend hopefully , i didnt know if you needed some stop mechanism when using the indicator assy , as a gear selector to prevent it over selecting.

I think the good forks will make a big difference . Will look forward to the pictures.

cheers

greg