Vmd Trials At Mid-ohio

I'm starting this thread for information regarding the vintage trials to be held in conjunction with Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio July 24-26. The trials are scheduled for Sunday, July 26. As information and details become available I will be posting them here. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please post them here or email me direct at dean.siegman@gmail.com. Please put VMD Trials in your subject line if you're emailing me. We're working to make this a fun, challenging, and competitive trials and hope to see many of you at this great venue.

Dean Siegman

Dean,

Thanks for posting the information in such a quick fashion.

Question: Bottom line, is it Novice or Amateur

"3. Equipment and Classification:

a. All motorcycles are required to be fitted with adequate mufflers or silencers and

U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arresters, as required at certain events.

b. A number plate bearing the rider

Alan_nc Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Twin Shock

All OEM trials motorcycles model year 1978 and newer as originally manufactured

with twin shocks, drum brakes and air-cooled engines.

OOOH OOOOH Does this Mean I could ride my 1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex in the Vintage Days Trial?

Alan

The Novice class was created for first time or inexperienced riders and allows them to ride the easiest line (D) on any bike that fits into any of the defined classifications. We felt this was easier than creating a novice class for each of the six classifications. This means that someone with, lets say, a 74 Yamaha TY250 who may not be comfortable riding the B line would have the option of riding in the Novice class and the D line. The Novice class is not eligible for Vintage Grand National Champion points.

And Zippy:

Yes, you will be able to ride your Reflex at VMD but that classification also is not eligible for Vintage Grand National Champion points.

I hope this doesn't sound like a cop out but we really didn't have any input as to the Vintage Grand National Champion. It's something AMA created for this event (VMD) only. If you look at the rules for other disciplines, such as hare scrambles and motocross, you'll see that even though post-1974 bikes are eligible to ride the event they are not eligible for Grand National Champion points. So trials isn't alone in restricting some bikes from that championship.

Dean,

Thanks for posting the information in such a quick fashion.

Question: Bottom line, is it Novice or Amateur

Thanks

Alan

Allen,

The four (4) lines, are really the same as AHRMA, with the exception that Novice =

Beginner and Amateur = Novice. .... The only area I find fault with here is that the Intermediate/ Amateur riders (Intermediate and Novice) will be riding the same line. I am not sure how this will be pulled off, but I suspect this means the intermediate lines will be considerably easier. (So I guess you can flip a coin as to what class you ride at this one)

As for the rest of the rules, I personally think the class structure and rules in place for Mid Ohio are confusing to a lot of riders, including myself.

First of all, the classes have been dissected to a point where in 3 of the 6 classes you will only have a handful of bikes at best.

Vintage Hardtail

Any non-swingarm motorcycle with a separate engine and gearbox

(Even in AHRMA events there are very few rigid bikes competing....I don

Now I am lost again! So why is Zippys bike not eledgeable in the 78 and newer twinshock class for series points?? :moon:

Actually, I am starting to count the blessings, cause if Zippy ever "won" we would never hear the end of it! :wall:

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:37 PM

QUOTE (copemech @ May 6 2009, 01:00 AM) *

Now I am lost again! So why is Zippys bike not eledgeable in the 78 and newer twinshock class for series points?? huh.gif

Actually, I am starting to count the blessings, cause if Zippy ever "won" we would never hear the end of it! huh.gif

Damn Right!!!

:moon:

• 2 months later...

I thought the event went pretty well. There were 64 riders that started the event, 21 DNF. I've got a pretty unique perspective in that our same team who set up the VMD trials also set up the AHRMA trials at Windham, Ohio the week before. I'd really like to hear some comments from the riders about either event, all political opinions aside.

Dean Siegman