Montesa 348 Rear Brake Lever

jaan

For some reason I'm not able to use the rear brake of my 348 (1978), I think the lever is somehow unsuitable for me. What's wrong with me - or with the lever? Can I get a better one or is the only way to do it myself?

Anybody else has the same problem? Or is it just me...

Without knowing what your lever is like that is a pretty hard question to answer.

Some 348s have a folding tip lever that would be pretty hard to use if the tip was missing.

Have you lowered the footpegs?

Both types of standard 348 brake pedal work pretty well with the standard footpeg location.

Both types of 348 brake pedal work well for me. Have a look at some photos of 348s and you'll see the other pedal type.

The kickstart is s bit non-ergonomic in location (high and well forwards) and combined with the bigger motors (348 and 349) it can take a lot out of the rider through the course of a trial - best if you can keep the motor running - but not easy if you live somewhere hot because the motor can overheat if left idling. I find that it isn't too much effort to start if you ease it over compression before giving the starting kick. I think it would be pretty hard for a youngster to start. The 247 has the same kickstart arrangement but is easy to kickstart due to the smaller displacement motor.

Mine is like Jaan described and i'm not crazy about it either to be honest, but maybe that's because mine is bend and well used. Jaan i've seen what great job you did on the footpegs ! maybe it's time for a Jaan Cota Brakelever Mod ? i would buy one :P

Cheers,

Ed

cotabrake.jpg